1- meet the family

The Ville was a strange place. West side of town was lined up with beautiful homes and wealthy high sadity families but the East side was full of struggling poor families with scrap homes barely getting by.

On the east side of town in one home there was nothing but chaos.

"Man you think Darren coming home tonight ?" Quan said as he slipped in the bottom bunk.

Rashaud stared at the ceiling "hell nah man, it ain't the first of the month  is it ? If it ain't no money, that nigga ain't coming by"

Quan laughed as he tried to snuggle up in the too small bed.

four kids and no constant flow of cash.. there was no way of anybody getting new things.

Soon Quan was snoring with his feet and legs dangling out the bottom of his bed.

Rashaud tried to sleep but he just kept tossing and turning

His mind wandering
...

Zaire (Zye-air) found herself up earlier than usual the next morning but she just shrugged it off and began making breakfast for everyone.

Rashaud and Quan were at the table in no time as they smelled the fresh breakfast but Zaire had to shake Tammy awake "no sleeping all day kid"

They all munched at the table without a word until Tammy spoke "you think Mom okay today?"

Some days Lisa didn't come out the room at all, especially the first couple of days after Darren had left again.

Zaire nodded "she'll come out soon, I brought her some food and left it at the door. It's gone now"

Zaire was the mother of her house but it was hard with school starting back up soon and it would be her and Rashauds senior year. All she wanted to do was have a good summer.

Zaire grabbed her bag as she looked at the clock and realized she was running late "someone please clean the kitchen"

She ran down the block with her apron half tied until she reached the restaurant

"Your late!"

She sighed, grabbing her pen and running to her section to began taking orders
...

Tammy jumped up from the table as knocking on the door began , she knew it was Sasha her best friend "welp I'm off! "

Quan and Rashaud looked at each other then began laughing

Quan shook his head "you know I'm not cleaning this damn kitchen"

Shaud laughed again "and you know I'm not"

..

Tammy walked down the strip with Sasha as they rushed to the basketball tournament. It was summer and a tourney so that meant there was gon be drama,  good food, hood niggas, hoes, more, and all the above.

Sasha kissed Mikey on the lips and sat on his lap, lord knows if someone older in her family had seen this that they'd be losing their head. Sasha had a saint mother and they were only 15

"Tammy, this is Ray my cousin"

Tammy had seen ray play basketball in the tournaments multiple times

Ray smirked as he looked down at Tammy "wassup beautiful"

Tammy couldn't help but to began blushing "hey"

Ray bit his bottom lip "I see you at the courts a lot, you like ball?"

Tammy shook her head "no but I like ballers"

Ray and Tammy laughed in unison "well maybe sometimes I can show you how to ball"

Tammy rolled her eyes "maybe"
...

Zaire sighed as she clocked back in just coming off her break.

She walked up to the table "Welcome to Deluxe Cafe, can I take your order ?"

"Yeah I'll take the beautiful waiter and a side handful of her smiles to go ?"

Zaire looked up from her pad "ill take corny with a side of your finest bullshit"

Carti smirked finally catching the waiters eye "or how bout you let me take your name and number so I can take you out to eat, hi I'm carti"

Zaire stared into Carti's amber eyes and began to notice how cute he really was. Carti had a curly cut, a huge smile, and tattoos all over. Zaire might've started to get damp in that moment but she didn't have time for relationships "nah I'm good"

Every time Zaire had circled back around to Carti's table, carti would re-attempt ... truly persistent

"You're so beautiful. Call 855-3497 -carti" was left at the bottom of the checkbook with a 50 dollar tip

Zaire crumbled up the receipt but carti always got what he wanted.
...

Rashaud and Quan stood at the bus stop in the scorching heat "the summer ain't never been so damn hot!" Quan said wiping his face with his T-Shirt

Rashaud wiped his sweat too "especially carrying these damn tools"

It took almost an hour on the bus to make it to the west side, where they did construction but as soon as they hopped off they wasted no time.

"I'm tired of the same old shit" Shaud said under his tired breathing

Quan threw the scrap wood "tell me about it. It feel like sometimes we working just so the family can make it by but we ain't living, we ain't doing shit"

Rashaud sat down as he straightened his hat brim, catching his breath "it ain't gon get no easier neither but we gotta figure out how to make it. We ain't never had nobody but each other and I ain't never gon let any of us starve"

Quan shook his head "you hear yourself man ? Yeah we ain't starving but we damn near there! We ain't eating no meals to make us full, half the time we scrapping together change to make it to our next meal"

Rashaud stood up looking directly at Quan "so what we supposed to do bro?! Me, you , and Zaire all putting the money in for bills, then food for the house,ma has all her checks stolen mostly and at the end of it, we may not have the most fulfilling pockets or the nicest clothes but we got each other, our home, and our lives"

Quan shrugged "we gon figure it out"