Chapter 15

Louis’ POV

“So… you and Lorena,” Tom started, making me scan the table for another glass of champagne. I reached out for one, not caring that it was my eighth since I’d gotten there; this conversation would surely make me want to be wasted.

“Yeah,” I said shortly as I swallowed the bitter drink, and looked around the room again. I knew she wasn’t there, and probably wouldn’t even come. Not even I should have come to this ‘office party’ thing. Mostly because the words office and party never go together in the same sentence.

Now I know why.

“You’re dating, or..?” I hated how nosy he was being. But then again, I knew how he looked at her whenever she entered the room, or when she was in his sight. A lot like the way I looked at her.

I wanted to answer his question with yes, but are we really dating? I mean, do girlfriends usually not answer their boyfriend’s calls for two weeks? Not reply to their texts? Not even when it’s their birthday?

My hand subconsciously wrapped around the tall glass and I took another large gulp of my champagne; simply thinking about Lorena these days made me want to get drunk.

I was afraid I’d done something again. Was she angry because I told her I used to smoke weed? Couldn’t be, I also told her I put that behind me. But that was also the last time I saw her, the last time I even heard from her. The only reason I came to this lame Christmas party is because I thought I could finally see her; how foolish of me.

“Lou? You alright, mate?” I heard Tom’s voice again and I wanted nothing but to punch him in the kidney, but I knew I couldn’t do it in a room packed with people.

“Mhm,” I replied, staring into space, trying to forget about her and relax my mind for just a few minutes, but in the same time I wanted to figure out what the hell was going on, why she was ignoring me. Did it have anything to do with her doctor’s appointment? The fact that I told her I wanted ‘all of her’ for my birthday?

I felt my heart swell and then start beating fast, at my last thought. Since we spent the night together a few weeks ago, when Ashton came to get his stuff, I was sure I wanted all of her. I had everything; a speech, a ring, a perfect location for doing it. And now… I was starting to accept that it was all going to hell, because she refused to make any kind of contact with me.

“You’re in a pretty shitty mood for someone who’s dating Lorena Cloe.” I closed my eyes as I heard Tom speak fucking again, and my desire to punch him increased. Oh, if he’d only known what dating Lorena Cloe is really like. If it was even half as pretty as her, I wouldn’t be complaining for the rest of my life.

“Yeah, I’m just… thinking.” I sighed and leaned my head onto my hand. I should just go home, she obviously isn’t coming. She’s probably with her family or Caitlyn, like half of our colleagues that didn’t make it to this party. There’s probably something on TV that I could watch, and at least try to enjoy Christmas. Yeah, I should definitely leave, before I got too drunk as well.

“You’re not sleeping, right?” Tom asked, but I didn’t open my eyes. I might as well take a sitting nap while I’m here. “‘Cause I’d hate for you to miss this.”

I frowned, and opened my eyes slowly as I turned my head to face Tom. “The fuck are you talking about?” I mumbled before fully taking in his expression; he was smiling, staring right ahead of himself, his eyes kind of shiny. I immediately sat up and followed his gaze; only one thing – person – could cause that look in his eyes.

I had to swallow back everything I’d eaten the entire day as I laid eyes on her; first on her best friend, and then her. And while I was sure Caitlyn looked lovely in whatever the hell she was wearing, I couldn’t take my eyes off Lorena. She was there, she was really there; after two weeks, I could finally talk to her. Fucking finally.