Preamable.

The First Draft is no longer available on the Wattpad platform

; Rewritten version is coming in December 2021 or October 2023. (Wattpad Platform.)

This is a completed story.

; I highly emphasise that you read the preamble below.⬇️

_____________________

A time in the past.

;       Caleb stepped out of the hotel lobby and fought the urge to stop and savour the city's bright and cheerful colour palette he'd grown up with. Six years later and he was here again, navigating his birth land. A pity he couldn't dwell on the scent of food coming up the road; instead, Caleb quickly glanced at the hands of time displayed on his wrist while recollecting the task at hand. Conquering his urge to satisfy his nostalgia, Caleb hailed the only approaching white cab. The frantic movements of his hand translated urgency; he had to get to the hospital. The cab pulled to a stop, and he gave the driver a destination while speaking in a dialect he'd been progressively erasing from his everyday vocabulary.

        As per common occurrence, he questioned why he supported her. Sure, they were family, and family were supposed to be united and all that crap. Yet, with her track record of hospital admissions, surely no one would blame him for cutting her loose. He was going through the city, pondering why a case study had not been drawn up to investigate how she had survived so many overdoses.

More importantly, he was discontented with the whole routine. Was she going to make it and then pledge false sobriety? Or was she not going to survive and thus become a tragic statistic for her family and city? He was pretty confident that the former was the most likely outcome. His cynicism over the situation, especially if the latter result, had deeply developed after the third overdose. The doctors, to date, are baffled by how she escaped the jaws of death—a miracle, they claimed, an act of God.

Soon enough, the white vehicle parked in front of the familiar imposing hospital structure he'd once frequented because of his mother's demanding job as a nurse. Caleb hastily paid his fair and then stumbled outside, happy to ditch the car air conditioning and be once again exposed to warm, inviting Milan, Italy heat, especially with how his body was positively reacting to being back home in contrast to how he hadn't felt weighed down by his allergies, which flared up substantially when he permanently moved to New York.