Prologue

Prologue

The large hooves of the strong shire stallion imposed a threat to the nervous young girl standing shakily before him. Exhaling deeply, the dark bay horse snorted loudly, and flicked his tail, causing the girl to stumble back in fright. The young lady holding the horse smiled gently at the jumpy child, she had dazzling blue eyes and a long blonde hair that looked almost white. "It's alright, Toby's very old and friendly. Do you want to give him a treat?" The lady asked, revealing a shiny red apple in the palm of her hand. Unsurely, the girl glanced around, her parents were a short distance away admiring a beautiful roan filly who was bouncing excitedly about the grassy paddock. Summoning the small amount of courage the youngster held inside, she slowly nodded, glancing over at the quiet horse who dozed lightly in the warm summer air. 

"Alright. What you do is you hold your hand flat like this." The lady explained, then demonstrated, holding her hand out straight and balancing her apple on her hand. "Then all you do is bring it up to his mouth, and then since Toby is a very greedy horse he should just lick it right up!" She giggled, passing the fruit over to the girl who bit her lip in nervousness and walked gingerly towards the shire stallion. Toby was a skyscraper next to the small five year old, who stood still as a statue, quite intimidated by the gigantic 17.1hh stallion. The horse noticed the apple in the little girls hand and whinnied expectantly. Cautiously she held out the apple, and flattened her palm like she was shown. Gently Toby bit at the apple and took it from her hand, then munched contently on the juicy treat. Beaming with pride the girl forgot her fear and broke into giggles. "See he's really lovely isn't he?" The lady asked her, and this time the girl nodded vigorously her short metallic blonde curls bouncing around her shoulders.

"Piper!" Mrs. Ross called to the girl who responded quickly with "I fed the horsey mummy! His name is Toby!" Her mother smiled brightly at the proud girl. Then walked calmly over to Toby, who was licking his lips peacefully after enjoying his special treat. She patted him softly and stroked his broad bay neck. "Toby's very nice isn't he honey?" Piper nodded again, her hazelnut eyes shining with glee. "I love horses now! Can we get one?" She asked quickly, her tone hopeful and light. "That's what I wanted to show you Pip! Follow me." Her mother told her with a mysterious grin. Her mother began to walk, and Piper skipped after her, waving goodbye to Toby who stood drowsily in the sun.

The trees danced in the warm summer breeze, and the sound of hoofbeats and whinnies filled the air. Silver Oak Equestrian held the biggest annual horse sale in Gold River, everywhere people looked critically at all types of horses and ponies, some galloped madly around the paddock and some were standing calmly in stalls or by their leaders. Piper Ross trailed behind her mother who walked quickly through the barn, passing many lovely horses who Piper admired greatly. Eventually the small lady stopped in front of a seemingly empty stall. "Go look Pip."

The girl peered over the wooden gate stretching up on her tiptoes. Leaning over the stall door she noticed the minuscule grey pony quietly munching hay in the corner. Still slightly nervous, but also memorized by the sweet looking pony she breathed "He's so pretty." Mrs. Ross nodded, and grinned at her daughter. "Do you like him?"
"Of course!"
"Do you want him to be your own pony?"
"Yes."

"Good, Piper, meet Smartie. He's you're deary."

The five year old stared at her mother in disbelief, her mouth opened and eyes watery. She looked like she might cry, but judging by her elated expression they could only have been tears if pure happiness. Without another word, the girl quickly opened up the stall gate, and forgetting her worries embraced the little white pony, loving the feel of his soft warm coat.

_________________________________________________________

Please note chapters will not be released very quickly as The Colt Challenge is my main story at the moment.