The Outsiders sequel

The Outsiders sequel full

I keep reading the letter Johnny wrote me over and over again, going over the words in my head. "Johnny's dead." I knew it all along, I've been trying so hard to convince myself he's not that it sounds strange to actually admit it outloud. I can't help but feel guilty, Johnny's death was my fault, it was my idea to go in and save those kids, Dally said he'd kill me if I pulled a stunt like that again. Johnny's parents seem sad but also glad to be rid of him, it's insane, Dally's parents are the same way, I can't imagine having parents like that.

Darry has been trying a lot harder to be nicer than usual, I can tell this time he really wishes he didn't hit me. Two bit got busted for stealing cokes at the store, he got fined but we all chipped in to help. It's been hard to get along without Johnnycake and Dallas here, but were still together as a gang, and everyone  is always welcome in our home. Two bit still hasn't gotten over losing his switchblade, and Sodapop's still got a broken heart, that's what you get when you fall in love.

Cherry came by and said she was sorry about Dallas, and that at at least she won't fall in love with him. She kept saying she was sorry for not going to see Johnny, and that she shouldn't have let a stupid reputation keep her from seeing him. After she left we all sat down in the living room, watching cartoons, and eating the left over cake that was in the freezer. Soda's got himself sprawled out on the chair, almost squishing me. Darry and Two bit have taken over the couch, we sit in silence for awhile before I finally speak up,

"I think we should do a funeral for Johnny and Dally." Two bit cocks his eyebrows at my words as everyone turns to look at me.

"That's a nice idea Pony, but where will we do it?" Two bit asks.

"We could bury them in the backyard, and all of us could say sumthin real nice bout them. The hospital put them in coffins, we just have to bury them." Soda says, Darry gets up and starts assigning us our jobs,

"I'll get them from the funeral home, Pony Boy you write up sumthin nice about them. Sodapop, Two bit, you guys can dig the holes, tomorrow at 3:00 we'll bury them."

'Same old Darry.' I think to myself, my thoughts interrupted as Soda speaks up,

"Let's do it up in the meadow across from the park, near that big oak tree there. Johnny loved sunsets, and Pony's always goin on and on about how that's the best place to see it." Everyone nodded in agreement before heading out to complete our jobs. Two bit and Soda started looking around for the shovels, and Darry started gathering up his stuff for work. Even though he tries to be nicer he still works himself out, I think it's just his way of dealing with all this. I sit on the porch, smoking a cigarette, taking a slow drag and enjoying the feeling of the smoke filling my lungs before deciding to take a walk.

I open the gate and walk down towards the lot where Johnny and I fell asleep that night. As I'm walking down the road a certain car catches my eye, a bright blue mustang. My heart starts pounding against my ribcage, the Soc's are out of their territory. I can't run, the house is to far, so I turn around flip my hood up, anything to try and help conceal myself.

'They can't see my face, they'll know I'm the one who killed Bob!' Sure enough there's a gang of Socs sitting in the car, slow down as they noticed I was there.

"Hey, hey you!" One of them yells, I drop my cigarette.

"Me?" I ask quietly, turning my head slightly so they can't see my entire face.

"Do you know where a Ponyboy Curtis lives?" I shake my head no, waiting and sighing with relief as they drove away. I forgot I look completely different, my hairs short and blond, and I don't even have a drop of grease in it. I watch the Soc's drive away, my heart's still racing as I begin practically sprinting home. I run through the gate, slamming and locking it behind me as quickly as I could. I can feel the tears now running hot trails down my cheeks as I run in the door, slamming it behind me, pressing me back against the wall as I tried to catch my breath.