Prologue

Steps upon steps upon steps led down into the dark spaces of the world. At least, that was how it seemed. But I was just a girl then. Only thirteen. I am seventeen now. Princess of the Iron World. That is what we call it. My home. The Iron World.

It has many different places. There are ruins, there are towns, there are mountains. Then there is the Iron City. Which is where the Iron Castle lies. Which is where I live. I am the only female heir to the throne. Well, technically, the only heir. I believe I had a brother once, but if I did he disappeared long ago. I believe he was a tough warrior. I am a warrior, just not quite as tough as I believe him to have been.

Everyone tells me I should not seek to be a warrior. I am a woman. I should stay inside, where I am safe from the blood and cruelty of war. But I think my destiny lies elsewhere, as a warrior. I don't really care about being queen. Even as my father is slowly dying, I want to fight, to train. I don't care about the affairs of a queen. Leave that to others. Such as the man I am betrothed to. His name is Gearalt, a dark prince. At least that is what everyone says. But I would like  to decide for myself what he is like.

But it does not matter. Soon I will be thrust into the middle of all of this and I will have no choice. My father grows weaker by the day. There is nothing to be done. There is no way I can help him, except lie to him about how excited I am to finally be taking the throne and taking over his place. But I am not. And it hurts to lie to him. I wish I could just tell him I don't want any of this, but I cannot. If I did it would sap what little strength he has left.

I will just have to endure it until I am married to Gearalt. And I will have to watch my father suffer and die slowly. I have vowed to find the Mage that did this to him and destroy him. I cannot allow this to stand. This horrible act that has been done. I will find the man responsible-if he can even be called a man-and kill him. Slowly. So he knows how my father suffered.

But the time has come. I have been summoned to my father's side. Is he almost gone? Has the light faded from his eyes? Or is it something else?

These are the questions running through my mind as I run from the steps down into nothing and back to the palace. I must get to my father now. Before he can leave me forever.