Quickly, I pulled my clothes on and whipped my hair in a ponytail before jogging downstairs in the kitchen where all the ruckus was coming from. 

"Zachie, I swear if something's on fire-" I started but then stopped when I saw what I saw. "What the...Zachie! What did you do?!" 

Zachie and his pest friend, Brendan Kyle, froze.  

Nothing was on fire, mind you, but part of the custom made granite counter top my mom loved was missing. And when I say "part" I mean BIG part. 

"We wanted to skateboard and we needed something smooth to ride on," Zachie shrugged as Brendan nodded his head in agreement.  

"I-...you! But-," I spluttered as I waved my hands around like a crazed woman. I took a deep much needed breath and began a BS calming mantra in my head. 

One...two...three...what the heck's bothering me?  

"Zachie..." I sighed, "there's wooden boards in garage." 

His blue eyes widened. "Oh yeeaaah. Let's go Bren!"  

Through narrowed eyes, I watched as they scurried out of here without a care whatsoever.  

Quickly, I grabbed my phone out my back pocket and speed dialed Sage. 

"Sage, I have a major problem." 

Sage Blu was my oh-so-fabu best friend. She was there when I snapped my highheel during Freshmen homecoming, pulling out a fresh pair she carried around "just in case". When Oscar blew me off on an umpteenth time, and setting me up with his best friend in a snap of a finger, making Oscar so jealous he turned red and taking me on a sail on his parent's yacht. She was my rock and I was her's. 

"What's up Katie-baby, is it Zachie again? Ooohh, lemme guess, did he sell another crazy expensive vase your mom just la-la-loved?" She giggled. I could just picture her twirling a lock of her curly jet-black hair around her finger and ogling Johnny Depp's butt off of her computer.  

I sighed and ran a finger through my crazy red hair I inherited from my dad. "Close. But worse, you're gonna have to come over here and see for yourself. I'm going to call Dave." 

Her gasp nearly burst through the tiny speaker in my phone. "That bad?" 

"Triple that bad," I moaned miserably.  

"K! I'll be there in T minus whatever seconds it takes me to dress. Peace out girl scout!" She hung up, leaving me with a slight ringing in my hair from her high-pitched voice. I quickly recovered and dialed my mom's brother number, Dave.  

Dave was mom's much older and only brother. Their parents, my Grandpa Lyn and Nana Boo, were strict when it came to their only daughter and son's life. So when my mom declared she was marrying a poem writer they blew up. Nothing compared to when Dave announced he wasn't going to college, instead joining his friends in becoming a mechanic. They disowned him.  

"Hey Uncle Dave!" I chirped, trying to hide the little tremble in my voice as I inspect the damage that was the counter. Mom was so going to kill me. 

"Hey kiddo, what's up?" His easy-going tone soothes me as I toe the slab of granite Zachie and Brendan must of dropped.  

"I have a problem, a Zachie problem." 

There's a pause, "what did he do?" 

"We need a new countertop," I muttered. 

He sighed, probably calculating how much this is going to cost. "Alright, I'll be there in five-ten minutes." 

I exhaled in relief, "thank you! Thank you! You're the best uncle-" 

"In the whole wide world, yeah, yeah," he chuckled gruffly. "See ya Kiddo." 

"Bye!" I hung up and slumped against the counter. I totally deserved a spa trip after this. I mean, this was only the second day of my summer break and already I was breaking a sweat.

"Kate! Your clone is here!" Zachie yelled from the living room. I huffed in annoyance. I guess they got bored with skateboarding.

"In the kitchen, Sage!" I yelled back, hopping on top of the breakfast nook. Granting me a first class look at the damage the pest managed to do.

"Oh!"

I sighed, swiveling my head around to see Sage with her mouth agape, her dark brown eyes wide with anguish.

"You're mom's going to kill you- and then ask questions," Sage groaned, clicking her way towards me in her kitten heels.

I huffed, "tell me something I don't know," I muttered gloomily. "I haven't even made my Will yet."

Sage perked up, "I'll take care of them and the funeral. You're going to leave this earth with style," she chirped, bumping her shoulder with my knee.

Sage was short. Like mega short, but not short enough to qualify as a midget. She barely reached my shoulder.

"Where did your mom go anyways? Shouldn't she be stressing over this while we shop our hearts out?" Sage muttered, patting a piece of granite with her foot.

"Grocery store," I glanced at the kitty shaped clock over the sub-zero fridge. "She should be here by now. Hopefully Dave will be done by the time she gets back."

"I doubt that," Sage sighed, inspecting her manicure.

"Great friend you are," I stuck my tongue out and leaned back on the heels of my hands. "What if dad got back from his tour? Oh my god, he would send me to military school." I closed my eyes and tried to imagine I was anywhere but here. Maybe a beach in Milan. Ooohh, with cute guys and those fruity drinks-

"Ugh, they were such horrid clothes," Sage wrinkled her nose.

"Yeah, but-"

"Kiddies, mommy's home!"

Sage and I froze.

Oh. No.

God, kill me now.