Powerless

Invincible.

The word echoed in his mind as he walked through the empty city streets. It was people expected him to be, it was what they needed him to be. After all he was humanities last hope at this point. He laughed silently to himself as he wandered deep into the heart of the city; he never thought this is where he would end. His steps echoed across the empty streets and in the air and reminded him that he was alone on this and that no one was coming to his rescue.

Today he was the hero.

The responsibility weighed heavy on his chest and it made it difficult for him to breath. As he walked he looked at everything he saw and used it to bring him strength. He saw the streets where people walked, playgrounds where the memories of children playing still echoed and street corners where the homeless begged for change. He tried not to look at it for what it was but if he didn’t he’d forget what he was fighting for, that’s why he choose it for the fight.

The fight…

He tried to figure out how things had gotten this bad. When did this chaos start and why it happened. Did it start when humans strived to access their full potential? Or was it when one man lost everything and had to turn to crime? These thoughts built up in his mind as he continued the long walk ahead of him. Why did this have to happen? None of the people who had been erased deserved what had become of them. Erased, the term for the ones who had been completely vaporized by Kyle Law, now known as Fusion.

Kyle Law.

Just an ordinary guy. Just an ordinary life. Until the bank took everything he had and his wife and children left him alone. Living in a gutter with no income or anywhere turn what did people expect of him when he discovered his power? Why were people shocked when he used his power to steal and destroy? In the end he was still to blame for his actions and choices. It was his choice to use his power for the wrong reasons. It was his fault that an entire cities population had been vaporized from the face of the planet, their atoms scattered throughout the entire universe. Fusion had to be ended.

End, the end of Kyle Law.

That’s what it came down to. The end of the worst threat humanity had faced yet and Erik Road was supposed to be the solution. He had no idea how he could compare to a man whose power rivaled that of the sun. A man who claimed to be a god…

Erik Road.

If you had asked Erik at the beginning of the year what he had plan on accomplishing, defeating the world’s greatest villain and saving all of mankind would not been on the list. He hadn’t asked for this, he didn’t choose this but in the end he accepted it. If the people of the world were looking to him for hope then he knew he had no choice but to do his best for them. He couldn’t absorb and control any type of energy like Kyle could, he couldn’t even fly. But there was something he could do, he could fight. He had fought since he was a young boy. Fighting was more or less a part of him. But as he walked on ward he could help but think

                                How am I supposed to beat someone who could wipe out an entire population of a city?

After all, Erik Road had no super powers…