Thebes - Egypt 1351 BCE

The Pharaoh and his Queen had slept long in their bed that morning. As they lay watching each other they talked, soft and dedicated. They gently caressed each other's face, allowing their fingers to glide over the smooth, oiled delight of lover's skin. They relished these times, unaccompanied and uninterrupted by the hubbub of the royal residence on the opposite side of the door to the Kings private apartments.

Outside, the sun was already high and scorched hot rays across the floor of the dry, sandy balcony. White curtains billowed in the breeze. The heat would not enter the rooms while they fluttered, and allowed the air to flow free while the two lovers spoke secretly of their plans for their daughter and hopes for sons they would have soon.

A knock on the door interrupted their conversation.

"Come," shouted Amenhotep. He launched himself from the bed and picked a tunic from a nearby chair, thrusting his arms through the open sleeves and pulling it down over his tall frame. He found his belt on the floor and tied it around his waist.

His Emissary appeared at the door, looking flustered and sweaty. This was the part of his duty Amenhotep most hated. In the Emissary's arms were clay tablets. Requests from neighbouring Kings and rulers. All needed approval or rejection. The requests were always the same. Demands for more gold to pay for armies. Demands for more armies with the promise of riches, lapis lazuli, gems, silks and spices from the Persians. Amenhotep loathed giving away his treasury; the coffers were too small as it was. He needed every amount of gold for himself and his great plans for Egypt.

But as the Emissary entered, another man appeared in the shadows behind him. Striking in his dark good looks, he overshadowed the Emissary's height almost two-fold.

"Nerído Xipilé!" cried the Pharaoh in exultation. "You came!"

The Pharaoh jumped to his feet and rushed to his friend.

The Emissary, now quite forgotten, teetered on his small feet at the sideways shove as his Pharoah hugged Nerido Xipilé unashamedly. The Pharoah's wife, Nefertiti, greeted Nerido Xipilé from across the room with fondness.

"Of course I came, my King. How strange those words sound." Nerido Xipilé said with a smirk. "You asked for my help. How could I refuse my old friend?"

Nerido Xipilé looked down at the Emissary with pity, then cast his eyes back to the Pharaoh. "Perhaps you should deal with your duties before we talk. I have travelled from afar and am in much need of food, and a bath. I will see you in a short while, Amenhotep."

"As you wish, Neri," the Pharaoh replied using the name he used as a child. "Meet me in the Kings Council Chambers when you are ready. I have much to discuss with you. But tell me first. Did you bring it?"

Nerido Xipilé merely nodded. He pulled from his bag a tiny object. In size, it measured only a man's thumbnail. He placed the droplet in Amenhotep's open palm and bid his leave. After a small bow to Nefertiti, he swiftly departed.

Amenhotep held the tiny round object to the light. The solid, shiny metallic droplet was hard and cold to his touch but he knew that looks were deceiving. This tiny droplet of metal was his salvation. He placed it in a small pocket of his tunic.

"So, Emissary, I trust your journey was good? Not too hot?" Amenhotep said finally ushering the old man towards the finely decorated golden table.