when we met

I saw you first on March 21st.
I saw you last on March 22nd.
Three years later.
Funny how life works like that.

You were wearing a green t-shirt and a smug grin. You introduced yourself with a wink and nod, your eyes never leaving mine. For a glorious and fleeting moment you were all mine. I could tell from that moment that you were not someone I should know, that I should shield myself from you and never let you into my life. Because you, though you looked so innocent, would most definitely break my heart if I let you. And I let you.

When you left you still had that confidence and introspective view on life, but your dancing eyes held a weight, a hesitation that hadn't been there three years ago that I knew was due to me. We had both been aged, but hadn't cared, because we were blinded by the naive thought that we were invincible, that we would never end.

Our older brothers had been friends, so we were forced together in every possible way. Being very similar people, we opposed the forces pushing us together and instead teased each other, you calling me "Jules" which I protested but secretly loved, and me stealing your things and hiding them in places where you couldn't find them until I told you.

Four weeks ago you left. I'd always known that you were going to go places, that you weren't going to be mine forever. I just didn't think that you would leave after only three years. I guess I thought we had more time.