Preface

Preface

"Are you sure you want to travel to an unknown dimension?" a woman wearing purple contacts asked me. We stood far apart in a cold, dark basement under a video game store. I crossed my arms over my chest. I had chills running down my spine, and not just because the room was chilly.

"Yes. I'm sure." I answer.

My older brother took me down here once. He told me nothing but that he was being sent away to an unknown place so he could forget about his breakup with his girlfriend. I thought it was silly and I didn't believe him. He stood on a pedestal that would 'transport him to another universe.' Light that was unbearably bright, filled the room. Once my eyes had adjusted, I turned back around to see that my brother was gone. I haven't seen him since.

Eight years later, I stood on the same teleportation pad that my brother once stood on. I was ready to forget about my current life and start a new one. I'd come to the conclusion that this was the only other option apart from suicide. After what happened a little over two weeks before, my life had been turned in an impossible direction that I couldn't get used to.

It all started with one bottle. One night, one choice. Dad had too much to drink and started to get angry. I could practically see the steam coming out of his ears. He spat so many awful comments at mum that I could hear from the other side of the house. Glass smashed, cries of anger, horror and even violence rang through my ears. My younger twin siblings, Vince and Zoella were fast asleep, although I sat in their room just to watch over them. Mum ran out the house, slamming the door behind her. I heard the engine of our family car start. Another hour passed and dad sounded like he had calmed down so I went back to my room. Next thing I knew, I woke up to blue and red lights flashing outside my room at 3am. I walked into our green decorated lounge room that smelled with vanilla and a hint of tobacco smoke. Dad sat on our worn out weaved cream coloured couch, crying. Two police men sat on the opposite couch questioning him, he was barely sober enough to answer them logically though. When I walked out of the protection of the dark narrow hallway that lead to our bedroom and bathrooms, the police grew looks of sorrow on their faces.

"Rina Pearlwood?" A police woman asked.

I nodded.

"Your mother was in a car accident, she died at the scene."

I don't remember much of that night apart from I spent of the week in grief. I couldn't seem to escape these deep dark feelings that trapped me in the deepest end of life. Electrical storms surged through me, creating sudden bolts of anger and a down pour of tears. I started to take my grief out on the twins, which I knew was a low thing of me to do. After Mum's funeral, I came straight down here, seeking a new life.