Commitment

PROLOGUE

The rows of well dressed guests in the church pews, sat in hushed silence, as they listen to the young couple at the front of the alter exchange their wedding vows, whilst being prompted on by the vicar taking the service.

So, when the door at the back of the church creaked open, letting in the bright afternoon light, many people near the back, turned their heads in curiosity, to see who it was, and what was happening.

A man in his mid to late twenties, with short dark auburn hair and rather angular face, entered. He was dressed in a smart dark suit and tie, and now hurriedly stepped into the church, followed by a dark haired young woman.

Both of them looking a little sheepish for causing a disturbance, as they moved to sit in the back pew as quietly and quickly as possible. without causing any more disruption.

Although the Bride and Groom were too wrapped up in exchanging their vows, and listening to the vicar, to notice the new arrival's. One of the Bride's friends, Paula McKee, who also happened to be the chief bridesmaid, did happen to glance around, and she caught sight of the latecomer's. as they slid into the back pew. It made brown eyes widened in slight surprise, as she realised it was Eddie Conway, the older brother of the bride Sarah Conway, who would very soon become, Mrs Sarah Wilson.

It had been almost ten years since Paula had actually set eyes her friend's brother in the flesh. Then they had all been teenagers.

Eddie was three years older than Sarah, and when he went off to University when he turned eighteen, he had left home  and had barely been around since

Finishing University, he had taken up a career in the police force and then moved to live in London near where he was stationed. He had become so dedicated to his job, that his family rarely saw him, and Paula had heard Sarah complaining, that her brother hardly had the time to visit or even send them a card at Christmas time or birthdays because all he cared about was catching criminals and getting promoted to detective 

Although Sarah had send him an invite to her wedding, she had claimed she wouldn't be overly surprised if he didn't turn up for that either.

Which was why Paula was now pleasantly surprised to see Eddie sitting in the back of the church with his dark haired female friend, it seemed he had decided not to let his sister and family down after all.

Though, as she dared turn to look round at him again, she couldn't help noticing he didn't seem as if he was overly happy being there either, as he glanced around him uneasily and shifting in his seat. Then he grimaced slightly, as he tugged at his white shirt collar as if it was causing him some discomfort.

But now, Paula found herself recalling that Eddie Conway was never one for smiling very much. Even as a child, he always had a serious expression, that sometimes made him appear older than his years, and those grey green eyes of his, seem to be always on alert, observing everything around him, whilst his brain was busy processing it all.

So, Paula wasn't overly surprised when Eddie ended up choosing a career in the police force, and that he had already arisen in the ranks as a detective sergeant, by the age of twenty eight.

Still, it was good that he had decided to attend the wedding after all, Sarah would be pleased, even if he had arrived late, Paula now found herself idly wondering who his female companion was. Could it be this his girlfriend?  whoever she was she looked almost as uneasy as Eddie, as she sat next to him.

But now, Paula found herself having to focus back on the wedding ceremony going on in front of her, as the Vicar invited everyone to bow their heads, whilst he said a prayer of blessing over the newly married couple, So Paula turned to face the front and closed her eyes, doing her best to concentrate on what was going on before her, instead of who was behind her.