Prologue

As Vienna walked through the city, her hands started to sweat. She got more nervous with every step that she took. Today was the day that would decide what she would be doing for the rest of her life. So of course, anyone would be nervous, Vienna told herself in an attempt to calm down. It didn't work. She had a feeling in the back of her gut that she would end up with the same job her father got, and that everyone dreads. The explorer. You knew as soon as you got the slip put into your hand, and as you read it and your eyes started to well with tears, that you would not be returning. But who's to say that the job was a bad thing? Vienna hated it in this city. It was only a mile long in diameter. The rest of the world was blocked off by a massive wall that circles the entire city. Vienna could barely see the top, and it blocked out all daylight on the ground below. There were only a few select trees in the city, and almost everything was either a bland grey or white. Vienna's mother always told her that she should be grateful to live in this city, because it was one of the only ones that could rebuild and live on after the bombs. They didn't do a very good job rebuilding though. Rubble littered the city streets, in an attempt to try to pick up the mess of the crumbled buildings they were building on. Half finished apartment buildings loomed over Vienna. There was so much dust, Vienna had to rinse off every day after she got home because she and her clothes would have a layer of the stuff caked on her. Vienna kicked a piece of rubble with her boot as she grudgingly walked to the center building. If you were an explorer, you could escape this. The only problem is, you never live long enough to see the next day.

___

A/N: Hello everyone! Thanks for checking out my new book, I hope you liked it! I know the prologue was very short, not that detailed, and has a lot of questions that need to be answered, but I promise that it will start to make more sense! Keep checking in, I will probably be posting the first chapter this week.