One heart, two souls

• Dedicated to cecille

There once was a boy who told this girl that he liked her, that he had the biggest crush on her for the longest time. She didn’t even stop to think before rejecting him. Weeks went by and the girl became more distant every day. One day all throughout the school news traveled that she and her mom had gotten into a car accident, her mom was fine but the girl was in critical condition. She needed a heart transplant and if she didn’t get one soon she was going to die. The next day the boy went to the hospital and filled out a sheet, volunteering his heart for the girl. Within 2 days the boy’s heart was taken out and out into the girls, he lived in a coma for a total of 3 minutes after the surgery and then he died. 1 day earlier the boy had sat at his desk and written out 6 letters.

 The first letter was a letter to his Mom, he had thanked her for the 16 years she had spent keeping him alive, and keeping him safe, and explained that now he was giving his life up for a girl he cared very much for. It also said that he loved her to the stars and that he hoped she could forgive him for this.

 The second letter was a letter to his Dad, he told him that he wished they could have done tons of more father son things, he told him how much he wished he could have gone on 1 more fishing trip with him, how he would always remember the day they had both fallen out of the boat and into the lake and he told him how much loved him, would miss and remember all the things they had done together.

 The third letter was to his older sister who was out at college. He told her how much he hoped she made it through law school and got her degree, how he would always remember the days she use to sit him down and force him to let her put makeup on him and how he wished he could have seen who she was going to marry, to see her child to see her one more time. He told her he loved her and would never forget her.

 The fourth letter was to his 9 year old brother. He said how he wished he would get to see him get older, graduate, have a family of his own. He told him he regretted never teaching him how to throw a baseball and hoped that he would let their dad teach him how. He said he hopes that his little brother finds a girl and treats her right. He told him he loved him and that he was so proud of him and would always be.

 The fifth letter was to his best friend Alicia. He said he knows that she thinks what he is doing is stupid and urged by his love struck self, and he knows she would never forgive for this, but he hoped she eventually would long enough to realize that it was what he wanted. He thanked her for all those years she stood up for him in school, and that he would always remember all the trouble they got into with each other. He told her he would never forget the day they met in the waiting room outside of the principal’s office their 3rd day of grade 1. He told her he loved her and would never forget her and that she finds love in her life but never forgets him.

 And finally the sixth one was for the girl; this was EXACTLY what it said...

Dear, Sam

I told you only weeks ago that I had a HUGE crush on you, but you rejected me. You began to get very distant from me. When I heard about the accident my heart almost stopped right there and then. You were the girl I always thought I’d marry, stupid right a guy like me marrying a girl like you, plus we are only 16. It didn’t take much thought to realize what I had to do, I had to give you my heart, and die for you. Kind of poetic, right I mean kind of like a Romeo and Juliet scenario.

 You broke my heart when you rejected me, you pretty much ripped it out of my chest and ripped in two (thank god it’s not for reel, or else this wouldn’t be happening) but I will always love you. You can’t help who you love, people try to figure out love with logic but really love is just one of those things that can’t be figured out. People also try to measure love on a scale but again it is one of those few things you cannot measure.