The Evil in the Sands

After hearing rumour of the ruins of an ancient city in the heart of the Sahara wealthy, young Englishman Fredrick Cork left his dull London life behind and vowed to find it. On the fist of June 1856 he, along with fifty experienced explorers and eager treasure hunters, set out on their quest. They were never seen again.

However a diary belonging to Fredrick was found in the rubble of a Libyan antiques shop destroyed during the revolution.

It read the following:

Day 1

 Today I set out from Egypt to begin my quest in search of the lost city. I have high hopes for the expedition. Akil (my guide) has scoured Cairo for the best team, not to mention the best camels, money can buy.

Day 2

Today I got my first glimpse at life in the desert, it was nasty indeed but I put on a brave face, I don’t want the men thinking little of their leader.

Leaving Cairo, I finally got to see the pyramids. Only doctor Flint and I however were eager to see them. How I wish this expedition could yield something as great.

Day 12

Today we made our first discovery: a section of wall standing alone amidst the dunes engraved with hieroglyphs that Doctor Flint couldn’t read, he says it isn’t Egyptian or like anything else he ever seen. I felt a curious shiver when I stepped over it, as did Akil and the others.

Day 14

Today we came across a previously uncharted oasis. After drinking its water the men fell ill. The illness passed after several hours, going as quickly as it came.

Day 18

Last night one of Akil’s men spotted a figure dressed in black standing atop one of the dunes watching us. When he tried to approach the stranger it shied away, only to return several hours later.

Akil says he sees unfamiliar stars in the sky.

Day 20

Jari, one of Akil’s men, disappeared last night; we saw foot prints leading to the desert. We decided against following them. Our compass broke. A second watcher was seen in the company of the first, they both shied away when we approached them. Their stare fills me with dread.

Day 24     

Three more men wandered off in the night in the same manner as Jari. We found the ruins of a small village today. The brickwork was in the same style as the wall. Unlike the wall however it was distorted; the doorways were moulded into strange shapes, angles were unnatural and the walls bulged. Strangest of all it looked as though it was built for creatures a fraction of our size.