The Devil's Rousing

“There was a discordant hum of human voices! There was a loud blast as of many trumpets! There was a harsh grating as of a thousand thunders! The fiery walls rushed back! An outstretched arm caught my own as I fell, fainting, into the abyss. It was that of General Lasalle. The French army had entered Toledo. The Inquisition was in the hands of its enemies” and I was free. So very free, but I was wrong.

I was too consumed by my relief and happiness that I didn’t notice the pain in my arms, nor the stares. I just kept leaning on one of the soldiers, glad to finally be able to rest my feet. If only I had known.

         ~~~~~~

“I have marked him sir.” The winged angel bowing down in front of the two mighty figures playing a game of fate. The two together never looked so different. One hair inked raven black, the other starched white. However, together they balanced each other...when they got along.

The being gleaming in white spoke first. “So you have, thank you. Oh, and be sure not to let him out of your sight. Just because we have marked him, doesn’t mean we can’t lose him.”

“Yes my lord.” Quickly backing out still bowing and never turning his back until out of sight.

The raven haired entity barked out a laugh, banging his fists on the stone table he sits beside. “How good of you, training your little angels like a lap dog I see.”

“Don’t taunt me, I’m not the one that got us into this mess.” The dark one instantly shrank back sneering inwardly.

“Now lets get to the task at hand shall we. We’ve marked him, now what are we going to keep him from learning the truth.” The almighty one said resting his chin on his hands.

“Sadly we can’t kill him since he is already dead. We’ve already tortured him...hmm I know.”

The dark leaned over the table, whispering his plans on the wondering soul they are watching.

The light one had one more final thing to say. “You do know that if we do this we can never go back. If we make a mistake the whole world will be ruined.”

“I know.” Letting his head fall down somberly.

~~~~~~

“How are you holding up Michael?" The frail man looked up at the soldier in relief thinking it was someone a whole lot worse.

“As expected after everything I went through.” Sighing before continuing. “I just wish there was someway I could erase everything. Erase the blackness, the pit, the rats, all the death everywhere I go I just...” The kind soldier gently put a comforting hand on the troubled man’s shoulder.

“It will be alright, nothing can harm you now.” Then the soldier got up and left the fatigued man with his thought in the tent he was residing in.

Nothing seems right here. However, I can’t really put a finger on it. But whatever it is, I’m sure I can handle it.

Michael quickly fell asleep after the stress finally caught up to him. Nevertheless, his dreams were not sweet dreams. They were nightmares. This particular dream involved a war. And a dangerous army, that brought ruin and destruction everywhere in it’s path. The scary part about it was that Michael was the head of this army. With a scythe in his hand pointing straight at these two godly figures.

Jolting awake sweating from the terrible dream, Michael decided to walk it off. To try to take his mind off of everything he has been through. After a while of walking and gazing at the full moon, he noticed something. He noticed something glowing. Michael looked down and found out that he had these strange marking on his arm. And they were the source of the glowing.

Suddenly, the markings started to change shape. Bulging out of his skin and molding around each of his wrists and becoming some type unbreakable metal. Michael was so distracted by trying to get the metal mold off that he didn’t see the two creatures from his dream coming silently from behind.

“You won’t be able to break them, they are a type of celestial metal hand crafted by Hephaestus himself. A true work of art really.” The dark one spoke, walking around to face Michael and hook the chains to the brace.

“Now you have no choice but to come with us. So here what you are going to do. Michael you are going to go back to your world and plant a disease that is going to wipe out almost all your population, and then will return here as my slave.”

Though Michael just looked up in anger and spit out. “I will never be any one's slave...wait, what do you mean my world?”

The glowing figure finally speaking up. “I am sorry to tell you this, but you never were saved from the pits, you died and you officially belong to the dark one.”

The weary man couldn’t keep himself anymore and fell to his knees. “I will not kill my people.”

Yanking the man up, and making Michael stare into his deep dark empty sockets. “You have no choice!” he growled out.

Gaining a surprising amount of strength, Michael broke free the dark creature’s hold. Breaking his bonds in the process. He yelled, “Everyone has a choice!” He looked at the two with a knowing gaze and said his parting words. “And you have made yours, which you will pay the price for.”

A flash of lighting crashed onto the ground before them. Leaving a heavy cloud of smoke. However, once it cleared Michael was gone.

The two gods looked sadly at one another, when they figured out what had just happened. The mighty one muttering this single phrase.

“The devil has been reborn, and the war has now begun.”