Dreams and Vampires, Chapter Four

• Dedicated to My Husband Chad

   I took one look at Raithe and knew I couldn't tell her anything before the police got here. She was just as shaken up as I was, and I was barely holding it together as she called my clients. She wasn't able to reach my first afternoon client, so I asked her to watch out for him while the police were here.

     The police got here faster than I expected. I suspected it was because of the last kidnapping I was associated with. By the way they were looking at me I was pretty sure I would be going to the police station this time. I was right on both counts. They wanted to take Raithe as well, but when I explained I had a client I wasn't able to reach, they let Raithe stay with the crime-scene investigators.

     By the time I got back to the office, Raithe was alone eating cold pizza. She was so glad to see me that she forgot to be mad at me for not filling her in sooner. Once she hugged me and complained about the mess the CSIs made, she suddenly remembered she still had no idea what was going on.

     "Now!" she said with authority. "It's time for you to tell me what in the hell is going on!" She pointed toward my office, so I obeyed and walked down the hall.

     "Can I make us both a cup of tea before I start?" I asked tiredly. "I really don't think I can go on until I have a cup of hot tea in my hand."

     "Sure, no problem," she said with sympathy. "You haven't even had anything to eat, have you:"

     "No," I said, "but I'm really not hungry right now. Tea is fine for now. Then after I tell you all I know, I'll take you out to dinner. That is, if you can go. Are the kids taken care of?"

     "Yes, I figured this was going to be a long night, so I asked Mom if they could stay overnight. She'll get them to school tomorrow. Besides, I think I should spend the night with you after today's episode in horror."

     "Thanks, Raithe," I said with a sigh. "I'm not sure I feel safe alone right now."

Raithe made us both a cup of tea; then we checked to see if both doors were locked. We turned off all the lights except for the lamp in my office and curled up on the sofa.

     I sighed, staring at nothing while I tried to decide where to start. "This is going to require an open mind on your part," I started. "And I mean a really open mind."

     She raised an eyebrow as if she were about to say something sarcastic then thought better of it. "I'm listening," was all she said.

     I started at the beginning, leaving nothing out; Sally, the vampire, and the blood, the disappearance and the fact that he knew who I was. Then lastly, the fact that he said I was partly responsible for what was happening. I didn't tell her Sally and Kendra had the same tattoo as ours-mainly because I didn't know what it meant. I suppose it could be a coincidence. Stranger things have happened.

     "How can you be responsible for him taking your clients to where ever he has taken them?"

     "I don't know, the regressive hypnosis, maybe? He said I was the missing element. I got the feelling that he has been coming here for a long time." I leaned forward, resting my face in my hands. "I don;t know who to talk to Raithe, that wouldn't have me committed. I would have me committed if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes."

     Raithe sat up from her reclining position suddenly. "What about Ben? didn't you call him today about this? I'm sure he would listen to you with an open mind."

     "I don't know. I asked him to do some research for me. I need to know whether there is any correlation between regression and vivid dreams." How could I pull Ben into this?