August Records

August Records: {Coming this Spring}

                                             Prologue – Showtime.

Listen to the song as you read…

La, la, la, la

La, la, la, la 

I want you to love me

Like I’m a hot, hot ride

Ooh, be thinkin’ of me

Doin’ what you like

So boy forget about the world 

‘Cause it gon’ be me and you tonight

I’m gonna make you beg for it, 

I’m gonna make you swallow your pride 

Want you make me feel like I’m the only girl in the world 

Want you to make me feel like I’m the only one you’ll ever love

Want you to make me feel like I’m the only one who owns your heart

Want you make me feel like I’m the only girl in the world

Want you make me feel like I’m the only one you’ll ever love

Like I’m the only one you’ll ever love,

…like I’m the only one you’ll ever love…like I’m the only one you’ll ever love…

The tender tune on the record player grew monotonous, its needle scribbling loosely over the worn vinyl disc. When she listened to this song, she could recall vividly the memories that came with it. The lyrics echoed in her ears. Taunting her, filling her conscience with memories she’d couldn't erase if she tried.

Desperate to rid herself of her anxiety, she wrapped her lips around a cigarette that she had previously sheltered in a crystal stray. Eliza immersed herself in the sedative effects within each exhale and inhale. The toxic clouds of gray she emitted from her lips seemed to be clearer than whatever future awaited her. Her eyes followed the black and white television screen, yet another reminder of the barrier that wedged between them. 

“It’s been two weeks since the Founder of August Records, Larenz Nathaniel August was found dead in his Chicago recording studio. A place the produced major hits that hold place in all of our hearts and vinyl collections. Today marks the first day of trial for the right his estate including the studio, profits, everything under the sun. Eliza Dee Bethany, his favored recording artist and Joelle K. August, his legal wife will be stating their cases today…”

Eliza snapped out of her train of thought and examined her appearance one final time. There she sat in front of her vanity, clad in her gown from the 1960 Grammys. She puckered her crimson painted lips into the cold glass of the mirror. It’s Showtime Eliza. She's reahearsed her smile, her mannerisms, everything. Hey, before you try to convince someone else, you have to convince your damn self. 

She tousled her blonde tresses lightly and began to saunter toward the doors. The closer she got, the louder it became. Eliza ignored the rapid thump of her heartbeat in her ears, the gossip of reporters becoming an odd comfort. News correspondents beckoned for her attention, but only one question caught hers. 

"Why are you fighting for the August fortune? You have everything; beauty, a voice, and loads of money lying around. Why spend your time a courthouse, especially for a nig--,”

"I'm not doing this for the money. You're right, I have plenty of that. I'm protecting August Records and my reputation. They need to know the truth about Larenz, about his business, and his heart. I'm fighting for the label, the love I had for him, and the truth." 

I didn’t know how to end this but of course there shall be more to come…

Any questions, thoughts? Comment below!!

~K