Chapter 1: Part 1

Alistair was a very sexy man when he wore a suit.

His birthday suit, that is.

Tonight wasn't any different from any of the other stolen late afternoons I spent with him.

There was the smell of hay, of horses, of our sweat in the air−hardly a romantic setting−yet I lived for these romantic evening trysts in my family's stables.

"Get dressed, Helly," he chided, pulling on his trousers and throwing a look at me over his shoulder.

He was beautiful like that, with his silky brown hair framing his nicely chiselled face and his blue eyes sparkling with mischief. I wasn't in love with him because he was so handsome.

There was a refreshing simplicity to Alistair Lacey, one that was hard to resist. There was no pretence with him, no games. He was who he was, and I loved him for it.

Lying on the thick blanket he'd spread on the hard ground with nothing but his shirt to cover me, I gave him my sauciest grin. "Get dressed? What a strange request, Alistair," I told him, to which he laughed.

"Go on, love. If your father catches us..." His voice trailed off, the unspoken warning crystal clear. He plucked his shirt off me. "I wish things could be different."

That sobered me up. Wordlessly, I got to my feet and dressed quickly, the cotton fabric of my dress feeling scratchy against my skin, which had only moments ago been pressed against the Alistair's warm skin.

Things weren't ever going to change. I almost laughed at the cliché Shakespearean tragedy of forbidden love in which Alistair and I were forced to play the main characters. The only difference between us and Romeo and Juliet was that our love story wouldn't end badly.

Not if I had a say in it.

"Things will be different," I informed Alistair, in case he didn't understand that there was nothing−no one−that was going to keep us apart. I took his hands in mine. "Things will be different once you marry me, Mr. Lacey."

He quirked a brow at me, the corners of his lips twitching. "Who said anything about marriage, Future Mrs. Lacey?"

"Future Mrs. Lacey? Mm. That sounds perfect," I said, feeling a wild grin spread across my face. "But you're not about to steal my thunder. I'm doing the proposing here."

"Oh?" Alistair threaded his fingers through my hair. "You're asking me?"

"Why not? I'm sick of worrying about what's proper and improper." I paused, furrowing my brow. "But not as sick as I am waiting for you to get off your arse and ask me to be yours."

Alistair chuckled, and the sound sent a burst of pleasure through my chest. He gave me a serious look. "You are mine, Helly," he said harshly, and that moment of possessiveness in his deep voice made my body burn with need all over again. He took my hand again, putting my palm flat against his chest. "And this... This is yours."

I felt his heart beating erratically against my hand, felt the heat of his skin through the thin cotton shirt he'd just haphazardly buttoned up. I felt the love of my life.

Alistair leaned in for a kiss. It was a soft kiss, his lips barely brushing mine, but even then, he stole all the oxygen in the stables.

"You should go now, Helly," he said, sounding as regretful as I was feeling. We were two consenting adults, for goodness' sake! "The horses need their water."

I nodded, and we broke away. I hated this part. I hated being away from this man.

"Helena?" His voice stopped me when I was at the door.

"Yes?"

"I love you. Also, your dress is on backwards."

*****

If there's one thing I can't resist, it's a juicy story, and this is why I'm (once again) excited to be commissioned by E! Network to write another juicy fanfic about the scandalous characters of their TV series, The Royals.

Season 2 was even more scandalous than the first season, something I would never have imagined, and far more addictive. The plot twists had me twisting like a braid, and I can't even count how many times I clutched my imaginary pearls. There was too much King Cyrus-sassiness, too much #Jaspenor angst, and the cliffhangers threatened to end my life. It's a must-watch series, and I'm beyond excited for the third season!