Lost without You

A sad one-shot about how the holidays aren't a joyful time for everyone. The reason I wrote this, is because my holidays weren't that joyful either. Last year I lost my grandpa, this year my mom was diagnosed with cancer. That being said, I hope you enjoy this little piece of fiction.

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Lost without You

His feet touched the slippery ground, the snow creaking with every step he took. His heart beat rapidly in his chest as he approached a row of graves, knowing Anna’s was nearing. Taking a deep breath, David rounded the corner at the fifth row of tomb stones. His pace slowed down as he reached the dim grey marble stone, the stone his beloved wife was buried underneath.

Cold wind embraced David as he halted at Anna’s final resting place. His eyes filled with unshed tears as he reread the inscriptions on her tomb stone, his heart constricting painfully in his chest. Three years. It had been three long fucking years since he’d last held her in his arms, kissed her soft lips and made love to her. Three years since fate decided to take away the one person he didn’t think he could live without. Three years since he was brutally ripped away from his soul mate. Three years since Anna passed away.

It was a long fucking time, but not nearly long enough to forget her beautiful olive skin, her bright blue eyes and the vanilla smell that enshrouded her. If David closed his eyes long enough, he could still see her standing in front of him, smell her sweet perfume and feel her tender skin. Anna. Sweet Anna. The woman that not only changed his views on women, but showed him true love did exist.

*flashback*

“You keep your filthy paws off my sister, you hear me?” Jack threatened, his voice stern. David laughed and shook his head. Like he’d ever go after Jack’s little sister. It was known all over town that Anna Hamilton was a goody-two-shoes, the perfect daughter of officer Hamilton and his wife Rebecca. No one messed with a Hamilton and certainly not with their precious Anna.

“I wouldn’t dare,” David grinned, clearly amused his best friend would think he’d try to deflower his little sister. Everyone in and around town knew to be careful if David Walker came near their daughters. He was a player first class, a true womanizer that stopped at nothing if he’d chosen his next prey.

“I’m serious, dîck, if you so much as look at her in the wrong way I’ll have your balls,” Jack warned, shoving David backward.

David’s grin faltered a little as he nodded, this time serious. “Jack, my man, you know I’d never do something like that to you. We’ve been best friends since kindergarten, I’m not going to ruin that over a girl,” David stated. Honestly, he felt a little affronted Jack would think he’d ever harm him that way.

“Wait until you see her,” Jack mumbled under his breath. David hadn’t seen Anna in over five years. Back then, she still wore braces, god-awful clothes and her mousy hair was always pulled back in a bun. David hadn’t thought much of her. He’d been a senior, ready to finally take off and enjoy college.

Now, five years later, he was back to stay for good in the small town he grew up in. Truthfully, he’d rather have stayed in the city, but Jack had been adamant that he would return to his family and David couldn’t imagine living without his best friend. David didn’t feel that way about his folks. His mother spent her days drinking from a bottle of Jack Daniels and his father beat the crap out of everything that moved, thus he spent most of his time in jail these days.

It was no secret David would rather not be associated with either of them. He’d grown up in a shithole. Fortunately, the Hamilton’s had taken him under their wing when he was only in pre-school. They showed him love and affection did exist, something until then David had been certain was just a fairy tale, something made up by hopeless children.