Missing Pearl

The ocean breeze blows on the girl’s faces, as they sit on a magnificent rock, looking west ward toward the sunset. Elena and her two friends, Kate and Melody, are visiting Elena’s grandmother, Josephina, in Gillette, Maine. They’ll be here for a few days leading up to Elena’s twenty-first birthday on Saturday, August 20. Elena’s father, Mr. Giles had dropped the three of them off that day around noon. They had been best friends since third grade, and practically always know what the other is was thinking. For Elena, Melody, and Kate this trip was a opportunity. They had been going to different colleges and did not get to spend much time together.

            The next morning, Elena, who is majoring in marine biology, went down to the shore for an early morning, sunrise run with her dog, Buffy. Elena did not bother waking her friends knowing there was no way of waking up Luna who was not a morning person, or Melody who would not run more than eight feet and only to get to a sale! Elena’s dark black, curly hair bounced in her ponytail as she ran.             

            Elena, like her grandmother, Josephina, had a great love of the ocean and enjoyed all of her time here in Maine. She had spent every summer with her grandmother when she was a child. Elena always played with Angel, who was the son of her father’s dear friend, Mr. Summers. Angel and Elena used to make mud pies, sand castles, and play mermaids together when they where younger. Elena had not seen Angel for years and was extremely, excited to catch up with her old friend these next few days

                     Meanwhile, Melody had woken up at the house and went down stairs to find grandmother Josephina making a delicious breakfast. Melody absolutely loved to cook; in fact she was going to culinary school to become a chef. She offered assistance immediately and the two of them got cooking. When Melody and grandmother Josephina were finished; Kate woke and came down stairs. Grandmother Josephina took the girls into her sitting room (it had a spectacular view that looked out over the ocean) to show them her birthday present for Elena. Gram (as grandmother Josephina is more commonly called) went to a cabinet and pulled out a black, little, velvet box. She opened it and showed the girls. Inside was a sparkling, sterling, silver ring with a brilliant pearl in the center. Gram said “This is my mothers; I plan to give it to Elena for her birthday, she always admired it so much when she was a child.”

            Just than they heard Buffy barking and realized that Elena was coming. Gram quickly put the box away and the girls sat down. Elena came in and said “Good morning. How long have you girls been up? It smells delicious in here!” Gram replied “We woke a little while ago, breakfast is ready, and lets eat.”

            Later on, Elena, Melody, and Kate went into town to go shopping. As they walked, Elena heard someone yell from across the street “Is that you Elena? Oh, of course it is. I would recognize that curly, black hair any where”.  The young man came from across the street. “Angel, oh, my goodness, it’s so great to see you.” Elena said. She gave Angel a huge hug. “Girls, this is Angel,”, “Angle this is Melody and Kate, remember me telling you about them”. The group chatted for a few minutes, then Melody invited Angel for dinner, he gladly accepted and asked what time. “You should be there bout six o’ clock and come hungry because Melody is a great cook.” Elena said.

            That night, Elena heard a knock on the door and went to get it. Angel was standing there with a few bottles of pop. “These are for you, as a hostess gift.” Angel said. “Vernors and Cherry Coke?” Elena asked with a serious look. “Of course, I wouldn’t think of anything else.” Angel replied as the two of them flashed back on memories of huge sugar highs from the pop. Elena led Angel to the sitting room. She took the pop to the kitchen. Gram smiled and asked “Did Angel bring these, you two where such spazes after drinking these”. Elena replied “I remember, I felt like I could swim for three miles after finishing the pop”. Elena and Gram joined Kate and Angel in the sitting room as Melody put her finishing touches on dinner.