Chapter 6: Bonfires & Demons

SAGE

June 1st

I looked up at the clear blue sky and took a deep breath of fresh pine and sunshine.

Life was good.

I was earning a decent living working for Sally's mostly because of tips and playing  a little on the side. I resumed working at nights again so I could take the little monster to school. And most importantly, Sherry had backed off a bit. She seemed less...clingy these days. That suited me just fine. Kid would say that I was having my cake and eating too. Well damn right I was. I didn't buy the cake, but why not eat if if it was offered for free?

Speaking of Kid, I missed the son of a gun. So I gave him a call and received a grunt as an answer.

"Dude."

Kid grunted again.

"Grab a thirty rack and come over to my place tonight. We finna to have us a bonfire."

"Got it. Anything else?"

"Spread the word."

 "You got it. Might I ask what the special occasion is?"

"Life. It's a celebration of life, my friend. Come over bout 6 and we'll start up after sundown."

"No work for Sally's tonight?"

 "Nah, took the night off. Anymore questions, Barbara?" Barbara was Kid's mother's name. He didn't like it when I called him Barbara.

"Fuck you. See you later."

A steely click reverberated in my ear. I smiled inwardly. I love you, too Kid.

I tucked my cellphone into my back pocket as I wiped the sweat from my brow. I'd been in the field by the woods scouting a place to build Lucy a fort when the thought to have a party crossed my mind. I'd been home for college for over three weeks now and it was about time I started to enjoy the summer like the youngin' I was, get reacquainted with the friends I left behind. I'd told Kid to spread the word and I knew that most of our friends from high school would be at the Walker residence tonight.

I should probably tell Momma, I thought. I turned east in the direction of the house, opting to look for a place to make Lily's fort another day. After all it was supposed to be a surprise for her birthday which was weeks away. I walked briskly across the field to the house, enjoying the sound of birds chirping and not even minding the little nats flying around my head. Creaky wooden steps sank beneath my weight as I made my up the front stairs.

"SAGE!" I heard my mother calling.

"I'm here, Momma!" I grabbed hold of the brass handle to the screen door and walked down the hall towards the kitchen.

"Oh there you are." My mother had on one of my father's thick shirts made of corduroy and flower print leggings. It was a warm early summer day, but I know she got cold easily.

"Poor blood," she'd called it. She was anemic.

I moved towards the sink where she was and kissed her on the cheek. She smelled sweet and earthy, like rain.

"What are you doing up this early?" She asked. Curly wisps of hair fell across her forehead as she vigorously scrubbed out a baking pan.

"Oh you know...this and that," I shrugged leaning on the counter watching her. "You need something?"

She smiled. "On your way into town today, will you pick me up some pumpkins from Marge?"

"Of course." I eyed the baking pan again. "They wouldn't be for pumpkin cupcakes would they?"