Chapter 2

The drive to Alex's house felt like an eternity, my mind consumed by a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. The rain poured down from the gray sky, adding to the gloom that already hung heavy in the air. I parked my car in the driveway and just sat there for a moment, lost in my thoughts. I couldn't believe this was happening. I couldn't be pregnant. It felt like a dream, a nightmare that I couldn't wake up from.

Finally, I gathered the strength to get out of the car and make my way to his front door. He greeted me with worry etched across his face, clearly sensing that something was wrong. The rain splattered against us as he asked if I was okay, his concern evident in his voice.

I shrugged, unable to find the words to express the turmoil I was feeling. "I was just...thinking."

He led me inside, his warm presence a comforting shield against the cold and rain. We went up to his room, a familiar space that had always been a haven for me. I sat on his bed, unsure of how to begin.

"Mercedes, what did you get yourself into?" Alex finally asked, breaking the silence. He had always been there to bail me out of trouble, but this was a different kind of mess. I reached into my purse, pulled out the pregnancy test, and handed it to him.

His face turned pale as he looked at the positive test in his hands. "You're pregnant."

I nodded, my voice barely above a whisper. "And it's Greyson's."

Alex ran his hands through his hair, his shock evident. "Greyson? The guy who's been in trouble since day one? Are you sure about this?"

Tears welled up in my eyes as I nodded again. "I'm sure. I didn't plan for any of this to happen, Alex. It's just...everything feels so messed up right now."

He pulled me into a tight hug, his strength offering some solace amidst the chaos. "I'm here for you, Mer. You can trust me. But Greyson? I don't know if he's going to be there for you."

I wiped away my tears and looked up at him. "I have to tell him. He deserves to know that he has a child. And I need to know if he'll be there or not."

He sighed, his worry evident in his eyes. "Okay, if that's what you want. Just promise me that you'll be careful. And no matter what happens, I'll be here for you every step of the way."

I nodded, grateful for his unwavering support. We spent the rest of the night watching movies and eating pizza, seeking solace in each other's company. As the clock struck 3 a.m. and I began to fall asleep in my best friend's bed, I felt a sense of calm wash over me, a small glimmer of hope amidst the uncertainty.