The Hope of a Setting Sun

~Prologue~

The light was fading, there was not much time left. 

Two youths fled through the forest in the twilight. The boy was stronger, less fatigued than the girl but both ran despite their injuries. They had to.

Blood spotted the path they left behind, it shone crimson against the crystal trees. The forest was changing. An unnatural force was growing, enveloping it.

They were moving uphill. The sound of rushing water could be heard. They had almost made it home, when the last rays of the sun disappeared and the Darkness descended.

The girl pulled her cloak tighter around herself as the howls began. A scarlet light shone from the crystal she held clutched to her chest. The wound in her leg was burning by now. She stumbled.

The boy caught her in time. "Not yet." He breathed in her ear. "Almost there, the others are waiting for you at the gate."

They're waiting for us." She corrected but the boy had already turned back, his blade drawn and ready.

"Leon, don't you dare." She threatened, her voice sounded small against the howls and screeches building up around them. 

"Erisa, there's no time." He replied indifferently. "The city needs that core. You can still make it-"

He was cut off as a shadow pounced on him. The creature had the form of a jaguar, all muscle and claws and fangs.

Erisa threw her small, lithe body at it, adrenaline temporarily blocking out the pain. She drove her blade into its back and it went limp.

Another one leaped out of the darkness but disintegrated into a burning heap before it had touched them. Erisa blinked. From what little light there was left, she could make out shifts in the air. 

Force field.

Leon had regained his footing. Erisa noticed he had only cast the shield around her.

Three more of the beasts were approaching them, fangs bared. Cautious.

"Run." Leon ordered, keeping his voice low. They both knew these were only the strays. "The Fallen will be here soon."

A shout sounded behind them. It was a human voice, one of the others.

Erisa thrust the scarlet crystal into Leon's hand and spread her arms wide. The beasts were thrown back into the darkness by invisible arms. She grabbed his hand and dragged him after her. 

"You're not the only one with that Gift, show-off." She whispered sarcastically, trying to smile, but her voice was tight with the pain that was beginning to throb in her leg. 

"Hmph, look who's talking." He replied with an amused smile that disappeared almost immediately as her legs gave again and she leaned heavily into him. 

"Hey, stay with me, you idiot." He said, supporting her weight.

They had reached the top of the slope by now. The gate was there, protecting the city.

All five of the other Guardians were also there, with one of the Fallen.

And they were fighting for their lives.

The Fallen looked almost human. They were hairless, deformed creatures with seemingly humane faces and incredible power. A sense of darkness emanated from them. They thrived within it after all.

It noticed the newcomers and turned towards them. Its crimson eyes were searching for the scarlet glow of the core.

They found it in Leon's hand and the Fallen lunged at the two of them. They managed to dodge out of the way but Erisa caught its arm as it swivelled past them. The Fallen was heavier than her and its weight threw them off balance, pulling her down the slope with it into the darkness.

The gate was already closing. It was long past sunset, keeping it open any longer would jeopardize the lives of everyone in the city. All of them knew that.

"No!" Leon shouted, running to Erisa. The others were behind him but they were all too far away. 

Leon rammed into a barrier between him and Erisa. It was similar to his force field. His eyes met hers and he saw fear in them, and a burning resolve. She was going to die for them. 

She smiled at him, just a little, and disappeared into the Darkness with the Fallen and was gone. 

The barrier started to shift, moving him back. It swept into the others and herded them to the gates.

The gates closed, shutting them within the safety of the city. 

And the last of Erisa Clyrist dissipated into the air.