Prologue

*5 years later*

"Phoenix? Have you spoke to Sophia about Zac's birthday surprise? I heard that you wanted to do something special for it and I said to Sophia about it and she seems excited to help"

"Not yet but I will. I need to sort out things first" I said rolling my eyes, I don't know how many times I heard that question now, and it was starting to get annoying.

"So what were you thinking of doing for it anyways?" Tyler, my next door neighbour asked.

"I don't know yet, I've not decided. I've just been too busy with work and looking after Bella for Sophia while her dad has been away.

"Oh okay. But you always seem to be looking after Bella though. What about her dad? He never seems to be here? He's always out of the picture somehow. Sophia always avoids the topic when we ask. And when she needs someone to look after Bella he is supposedly working. Don't you see a pattern here? It's always the same. You need to find out the truth Phoenix" Tyler explained.

"I know I do. But what happens if I end up hurting Sophia in the process? I'd hate to lose one of my only friends" I sighed.

"Well thanks for that.." Tyler laughed.

"Oh no. Sorry. You know what I meant" I chuckled.

"Yeah I know" Tyler said, sipping from his coffee mug.

"I'll be back in a minute" I said placing my cup on the counter and making my way through my house to the front door where today's post was hanging out of the letterbox.

I grabbed the letters and placed them on the small table in the livingroom before going back to the kitchen. They letters could be opened later, it's usually junk mail anyway.

"What was that?" Tyler asked me as I sat back on my stool and picked up my mug.

"Just the mail" I replied.

"Oh"

"Anyways, thank you Phoenix for the coffee but I need to pic Callum up from school" Tyler said as he made his way to the front door.

"It's no bother at all you're welcome anytime" I smiled giving him a hug.

"Bye"

"Bye"
•••

"So what time will be okay for me to drop Bella back at?" I asked Sophia from the other side of the phone.

"Um there's actually been a change of plan" Sophia said.

"So what is it then?" I asked her.

"Well I've got someone important for Bella to meet and I think it'll do you good to meet them too" Sophia explained.

"I-I guess that could be good. I mean I could do with meeting new people" I said.

"Good then. I'll see you in an hour Phoenix. Bye" Sophia said then hung up the phone before I could even get the chance to say 'bye' back.