new blood-chapter seven-Injury

new blood

chapter 7: injury

Nick opened his eyes. He was back in the store and Dave was looking down out at him. "I managed to stitch up and disinfect the wound, you should be fine but it'll hurt badly for about a week or so". Nick tried to sit up. He felt a sharp pain in his back. Lucy was sitting a few metres away chatting to Alex. Nick pointed at her. "She's the killer" explained nick.

"Her, she's the most innocent person I've ever met" explained Dave as he packed up his medical supplies. "You know her" nick asked curiously. "Yeah she was the one who brought you back here".

"Yeah although she never explained, who was it who sliced your back open with and axe?" Nick pointed at Lucy again. "It was her"

"Yeah sure it was, you just stay here and get some rest". Nick stood up and managed to hold back his tears off pain. "I'm telling you the truth Dave she's the killer" he said grabbing him by the collar. "If she was then why did she save you?"

Nick smiled. "Isn't it obvious she saved me so she could get in the store and kill us all"

Dave grabbed his supplies and walked away. Nick saw him begin to chat to a bunch of people over at the magazines; they were up to something but what? Nick knew it was something to do with him.

Alex finished her chat with Lucy and stood next to nick. "She seems nice doesn't she" she said. Nick laughed. "No" he replied spitefully. Alex looked at him curiously. "You think she was the one who tried to kill you don't you".

"I don't think, I know and I need you to have my back on this".

"Fine"

Nick signalled and everyone in the store gathered around him. He could still see Dave and five other people over at the magazines. "Everyone I have an announcement, we have a killer in our midst".

"Who is it" shouted an old woman.

"It's the most recent addition to our group, Lucy she was the one who sliced my back open".

"Don't listen to him he has no idea" said Dave who had now joined the crowd." everyone continue what your doing".

The crowd started too dispatch.

"I'm sorry nick but your no longer in charge, I am". Dave smiled. "Really

"Yeah really". Dave walked back over to the magazine. Nick turned to Alex" why didn't you say anything I said they wouldn't listen if it was just me".

"Sorry".

Night had finally fallen and everyone was lying uncomfortably silent, everyone but nick. He knew he was right but no one would believe him. He would have to take matters into his own hands. Nick slowly slipped out of his sleeping bag. All the lights were still on.

Alex was sound asleep at the far end of the aisle he couldn't wake her. He stood up painfully and saw that Lucy was asleep next to the milk freezer. He took big steps and walked slowly trying to stay on his heels. Nick got some tape from his pocket and he quickly put the tape on Lucy's mouth and lifted her onto his back.

The storage room would be empty and had adequate space for an interrogation; she was heavier than nick thought. He pushed open the door feeling lucky that Dave had not locked the door before he went to sleep. Nick dropped her on the chair that he had placed there earlier.

He walked over to a case he had made that was full of supplies it was in one of the unoccupied lockers. "What are you doing" asked Lucy who had just woken up.

"What I'm doing is finding out why you stabbed me in the back and then brought me back here".

Lucy laughed. "I'll never say anything".

Dave removed a syringe from the locker. "Oh I think you will"

"What's that." asked Lucy.

"It's just something that the force uses to get the truth out of terrorists".

"What are you doing with it?"

"Its one of the few things I keep with me at all times from when I was kicked out of my unit, hold out your arm".

Lucy smiled"no". Nick pulled out his gun and aimed it at Lucy's head. "This isn't my plan but if you don't do what I say don't think I won't be afraid to kill you, infact nothing would make me happier but I need information".

Lucy pulled down her sleeve and winced as the needle entered her vein. "Ok first question who are the agents who are hunting me?"

"No idea"

Nick pulls on the trigger. "Ok then question two are you the killer?"

Lucy sat silently.

"Are you the killer?"

Lucy shook her head. "No I'm not"

"Then who are you?"

Lucy nods towards one of the lockers. "My bags in that locker"

Nick lowered the gun and walked over to the locker.

"Combination is 252423".

Nick quickly clicks in the numbers and the locker opens. He grabs the small handbag and throws it on the table.

"Look at the envelope".

He unzips the bag and finds a white stamped envelope.

"Read it".

Nick rips open the envelope.

Dear mom and dad

Why did you leave me and why wont you tell were you've gone I hate it here at the orphanage when are you coming to get me? Everyone here hates me. I just you to come and pick me up. Why is he your favourite? Why won't you tell me who nick is? Why does he get to live with you?

From Lucy

"Can't be, is this some kind of sick joke".

"I wish it was I never sent that letter I've held onto it just incase I ever met you"

Alex burst into the storage room. "Nick what you are doing?" Nick put away his gun. "I thought you said you were going to kill her".

He shook his head"no I'm not"

"Why?" asked Alex

"Because, she's my sister"