Running With The Pack

The forest was lit by the moon, it was alive with rabbits, mice, birds and wolves. There were two packs here, us and the Wild's. We mixed with them simply to learn about the forest, they spent more time in the forest than we did. It was hunting season, so we were all on edge and we stuck together as a big pack so there was more chance of us noticing something was wrong. There was the sweet scent of reindeer, nearby. The Alpha's made plans. We followed for the hunt. There were a few younger ones to teach, but they always made me nervous on hunts; they weren't as serious on a hunt. Of course we ate normal food as well so it's not like we would starve, it's just a great feeling when you catch something on a hunt.

 We found a small herd, they were nervous, none of them were grazing. Something wasn't right. I whined and nipped at the Alpha females ear, she snapped at me but looked at me with concerned eyes; the pack could feel it, all of us could. That's when I caught it; the scent of the humans.

Gunshots echoed, the Reindeer panicked and fled. So did our pack and the Wild's. There was a sharp whistle to my left, one wolf howled and stopped running. There were another three whistles and more Wolves fell. Two were from my Pack. My heart was breaking. I turned to go back and help them when a Wild Wolf banged into me and pushed me forwad with a warning growl. I snarled back and pushed him off me and went back for my Pack. I jumped over a log and landed next to Loraine, she was my cousin's mate. I triied to help her up, she whined and nuzzled for me to leave; but I wouldn't go without her. I heard the footsteps of the humans. Fear made my heart race.

Go Aislyn, please. Get safe

Not without you Loraine

Whining she put her head down, I looked into her eyes and saw she was drowsy, they had darted her. I could feel the vibrations of the humans, they where almost next to us. I then heard the rush of Paws through the grass. I turned my head.

Aleesha get out of here now!

I've come to help with Loraine!

My younger sister appeared next to us, her tongue lolling. I nuzzled Loraine up and Aleesha went to her other side. We got her up on her feet but she was so wobbly. We would have to look for cover rather than run. I looked around as we got her under the log. We just got to the other side of the log when the hunter's arrived.

"Three, there!"

"Two are undarted"

"Load!"

My heart raced, they were going to get us.

Aleesha run!

No way!

I let Loraine fall as I moved behind my sister and nipped at her rump. She yellped and dashed forward away from me. I heard the gun cock and I lifted my head to see one hunter pointing the gun at my sister. I put my head down and pushed myself towards her. There was the Whistle then a sharp nip in my left hind leg. I let out a yelp and I fell onto my sister. We hit the ground and I growled at her, biting her leg and nipping her stomach. With an annoyed bark she was off and running. I was panting, I could feel the dehydration already; I was never good with sedative's. I pushed myself up with a struggle and made my way over to the drowsy Loraine. I landed next to her with a loud 'thump' and loud panting. I felt Loraine move and she licked the side of my face, I was going out before she did. I tried to comfort her back, but I couldn't move. The last thing I saw were he feet of the hunter's and the bottom of their guns hitting the ground in front of me.

I could hear the barking. All the noise echoed off metal. I opened my eyes and closed them again; the room was so bright! I whined and tried to stretch but there was hardly any space in the cage I was in. I looked out through the bars and saw more metallic cages, all containing an angry, upset or still sleeping Wolf. I sat up and tried to focus, I felt so groggy. I closed my eyes and used my nose, I could smell Loraine, she wasn't too far from me.Roland, one of the higher ranking males was just across form me. I opened my eyes and looked out trying to figure out where I was. From the metallic and hospital like smell, I knew I was in some sort of lab; we would be used for experiments. This was a horrible situation. What sort of experiments?  What on Earth would they be experimenting on Wolves for?