Chapter 1

Chapter 1

January 3rd, Amani's 8th grade year

"Good job Amani! I really thought you where going to be making porn for a living, but you actually made it into this school! How exciting!" Her adoptive mother Karen made a move to actually hug  Amani, when Amani stepped away accordingly.

"You act like I haven't been getting straight A's since middle school." Amani mumbled. 

"I know but I just did't think that you would actually-"

"Yeah, yeah I get it." Amani said, she understood it perfectly. How even though for the past 4 or 5 years she had been getting straight A's, someone like her would still never be enough in people like Karen's eyes.

~~~

"Why didn't you punch her and break her nose like you did to me?"

"Because I don't want to end back up in the system Tommy." Amani laughed, he was her best friend but he never let her forget the time when she broke his nose. She swore it was an accident, because  who really comes up from  behind and hugs someone? Tommy had known her for years, he out of all people, know how much the accident that almost took her life, messed her up.

"Still!" Tommy yelled, they always went through this conversation, even though she broke his nose years ago. His nose healed kind of crooked, although Amani always reassured him he was cute.

"I'm glad I'm leaving this house though," Amani sighed, looking over her small closet sized room. Karen and Jeff O'Conner had came to the orphanage looking to adopt 4 years ago. They where looking for another poc child to, "enlighten with a loving family and home." When really they where just collecting poc children over the years to add to their check from the government. They where nicer to her then how her mother had been though.

"I'm happy for you." Tommy replied sullenly, "But- Babe!" 

Static, and then he hanged up, Amani rolled her eyes, throwing her S5 onto the floor, sometimes he was just as reliable as a dead cellphone.

Amani knew exactly why he hung up on her, he was her  best friend, but for the past year it did not feel like it. 

Rubbing her face tiredly, Amani fell into unconsciousness, she wasn't going to sit around and feel sorry for herself, she was going to go to sleep and pretend everything was ok.

~~~

August 30th (4 years later)

Today was the day she was finally leaving London.

She was finally going to be leaving this dreaded city, ever since the accident when she was little, she had thrown her life into her academics, she knew she was more then just the stereotypical black girl that everyone saw her as, there was nothing wrong with that, but just a small part of her wanted to prove Becky wrong.

Although America wasn't exactly in the best of times right now, she had gotten into Boston Academy, a prestigious boarding school in Massachusetts, and Massachusetts is a relatively calm state right? 

She had walked right into the boarding gate when her adoptive mother began listing all the things she needed to do while in Massachusetts.

"You better get a perm after you land,that Afro needs to go, it's so unprofessional and it just doesn't suit you, you better get good grades or I'll put you right back into the system, you need to stay out of the sun, You see how America is shooting nigger's left and righ-"

"Goodbye Karen." Amani nodded at Karen's husband Jeff. He was too busy on his phone texting his mistress, and Karen was too busy being a bitch to notice. Hopefully their mess of a relationship would blow up in their faces while Amani was in America.

Tommy hadn't even called her today, or the day before that, or this whole summer to be honest. He was way to busy chasing the next white girl that would reject him before her daddy could get out his gun. And then he would come back running to her with his tail between his legs, after ignoring her for at least a month. 

Why did she just let people play her like that?

Biting her tongue sharply, Amani turned, her father had done the same. It was a great thing that her mother and the cousin fucking, confederate flag loving cousin of hers where in jail where they belonged, but her father was dead. Six feet under, did he deserve that? Maybe, but Amani only thought that because she was as bitter as the day he never came for her in the hospital.

Sighing, Amani boarded the plane, she was going to prove all of them dead wrong.

A/N--> So this is kind of a filler chapter, chapter 2 will be a lot more juicy :) Also, this story is going to be a lot more serious then any of the other stories that I had posted on Wattpad, I'm not even sure if she will have a love interest since this story is about her and her development as a mixed poc,so if I see any ignorant ass comments I will delete them and block you :).

On a lighter note, don't forget too comment, vote and share this book :)