Red Moon

SIMON'S POV.

I had never seen anything this beautiful before - a Red Moon. Normals said it was some scientific phenomenon because they didn't know about magic. The legend - known by anyone from the Wolrd of Mages - said it was the blood drunk by vampires that was colouring the Moon once a century.

Everybody at Watford was outside to watch it. Besides Baz, obviously. When I asked him why he wouldn't come, he simply replied "it's just death painting a part of the sky." Technically, he was right - Baz was always right. Though it was amazing to see. Plus, most of vampires were dead so it was also a sort of celebration. I mean, we didn't celebrate death but Vampires attacked Watford so they were such ennemies to us.

Baz never came to any celebration but I thought he would come to the prom. I couldn't wait to see him in a suit with a girl, it's gonna be so funny. Well, it wasn't actually funny to imagine - I didn't want him to go with a girl. I didn't know why, it just sounded wrong. I didn't think he was gay either though. It was no one of my business anyway and I didn't care.

I was in the garden next to Penny who was gazing up at the sky. The reflect of stars shone in her eyes making them look magic. It was like her magic had token possession of her whole body. I wondered how I looked right now - if my magic could be felt.

It was almost midnight and everyone was appreciating the moment. I was too but I couldn't stop thinking about Baz. Huh, I mean, I was thinking of what he could be plotting right now - of course.

He didn't seemed okay when I left the room but he never really did. Not that I cared but he always acted in a weird way around me. It was probably because he was always thinking about how he could kill me.

He hadn't tried to kill me recently though. In fact, he hadn't since we got into our sixth grade which was two years ago. He just kept being mean to me - it didn't really count as a tentative of murder but it didn't count as a proof of peace either. He was certainly just plotting to get the perfect idea, the perfect way to murder me without anyone suspecting him.

I was kind of tired of him wanting my death but that is life. Or death. or both. I didn't really know.

I wish he didn't hate me that much or at least he could just ignore me. I always felt his gaze on me and when I asked him what the bloody hell was wrong, he just said he was admiring my ugliness and my stupidity. Well, thanks Baz.

I couldn't even say "Ahah you should look at yourself first". Because a) I was sure he was a Vampire so he couldn't see himself in a mirror, b) he was handsome. Okay I disliked him but I wasn't denying the truth. He'd got that superb dark hair and the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen. He was tall and slim and his skin had this wonderful shade of white - a perfect white.

Then a big sound suddenly resounded in the black of the night. Everyone turned around to face its source but no one could exactly see what it was. It looked like a silhouette but I couldn't see whose it is. I didn't even recognize the humanity in it. I mean, it seemed human but you could kind of feel it wasn't totally.

And then another noise. And another one. And so many other ones. Soon there were tens encircle us. The light coming from the moon illuminated each silhouette. Slender, white, dead. Vampires.

They slowly walked in our direction with their gracefulness. No one was moving till that point and then everyone started running everywhere to run away from them. It was a big mess but the dark creatures didn't seem to mind - nor did they seem to enjoy the effect they were raising. They just kept walking to us.

After a few seconds, people started to realize they weren't attacking anyone. All the Mages simply left the cercle formed until there were just the two of Penny and I left in. Vampires didn't even show their fangs to any of them. They were just there, all staring at us. Some curious people stayed to watch what was going to happen as I just felt fear growing inside me.