[2] Stranger Beginnings

ATTENTION! The first chapter of the rewrite after 10 years! Go check it!

I woke up to find the light shining in right on my face. It took me a minute to realize that I was not at my motel room, and then all the memories from last night came rushing back. I instantly sat up and took in my surroundings.

It was a very well lit room, but it held a dark looming kid of presence. There were dark curtains on either side of the large window that took up most of the wall. The view I seen from the window made me instantly stand up, only then realizing that I shouldn't be on my foot. But when I put my weight on it there was no pressure or pain. Glancing down at it now there was also no swelling of any sort. It was as if I had never twisted my ankle.

I slowly walked over to the window, testing out my ankle. But there was no need, it was perfectly fine. Once I made it to the window I took a look around the grounds. Now that it was daylight I got a much better look.

There wasn't much to see. Grass and tree's. Tree's and grass. But it was still beautiful and well kept. There was even a gazebo in what must be the back yard, which means I must be in the back side of the house. I looked down to where the house met the ground and spotted two men. They looked a lot alike only one of them was much larger in size. I could only get a good look at the smaller man because the other had his back to me. From what I could tell he had caramel brown hair, and a tan that said he spent a lot of time outdoors. He was sporting a white T-shirt, the larger man wore a black T-shirt and also sported the outdoorsy tan.

Their conversation seemed to be ending as the smaller man started heading away from the house into the trees. The larger man turned and started walking in the opposite direction but still away from the house. That is until he looked up and seen me.

As soon our eyes looked his whole demeanour changed and he turned to toward the house. I instantly started toward the door, feeling uneasy from the way he had looked at me. When I reached the door I took a deep breath and swung it open to find James standing on the other side with both hands leaning on wither side of the door jamb.

"Hello, Ms. Chase glad to see that your awake," his tone was flat,no emotion whatsoever.

"Thank you for the welcome wagon, James, but I think I'll be on my way,"I started forward expecting him to move out of my way.

"Oh, no. You're not going anyway," his tone was no longer flat, it now wore a tight dominance that I didn't find very welcoming.

"I'm serious, James. I want to leave," I said in what I hoped was a stern voice, but even I heard the unevenness in it.

He just stood there unmoving, not speaking. His eyes boring into mine gave me the most unsettling feeling. The look in his eyes made me feel more like something to eat rather then a human being.

"James," Samantha had some how snuck up on both of us. James jumped ever so slightly before backing away and standing to the side of the door, so Samantha could get a good look at me.

"Chloe, I'm glad you're awake. How are we feeling this morning?"

I glanced over to James, then back over to Samantha unsure to how I should feel, "Yea, ugh, fine I guess."

She started nodding, "Good, good. Now come with me, breakfast is waiting downstairs." She reached out and placed her hand on my back  guiding me toward the grand staircase leading down to the first floor, to the foyer, also the place I had been awake last.