Chapter 1

Airports are the best places to people watch.  To silently sit by yourself and observe what is going on around you.  People might be saying goodbye, with tight embraces, tear stained cheeks and final waves.  Or they might be saying hello, with long hugs, tears spilling over their eyes while they laugh in happiness.  Or perhaps, like I was that day, people are just waiting. 

I wasn’t sure who I was waiting for, but somehow I knew that when he arrived, I would know.  I would feel his presence in the air I breathed and see him as he wondered through the airport in his silent but deadly way.  I knew I would see him before he saw me, too.  I was better than he was.  I knew he was coming. 

Twenty minutes I had been sitting in the cold, metal chair next to the departures.  Twenty minutes I had been searching the marble walkways for the first of sign of him.  Twenty minutes was a long time for the butterflies in my stomach to fly around at their own consent.  Twenty minutes was a long time for my palms to stay damp.  Twenty minutes and then I saw him. 

He was walking down the brightly lit, marble passageway just like any other normal person would.  A small, black suitcase was gentle rolling behind him.  A black suit jacket was in his free hand which was tugging at his collar. Beads of sweat were running down his neck, either from the humid air or the nervousness I knew he would have been feeling.  I would have been nervous, too, if I knew what I was getting myself into. 

Slowly and normally, I stood up and followed him.  Of course, he was not going in the direction that everyone else was.  He was going away from the planes.  He was going to the door with the big red letters reading “Do Not Enter, Employees Only”.  So that was where I was going too. 

The man had started to walk slightly faster.  However, he still managed to not catch the attention of oblivious people around him.  He was simply a business man late for his flight, right?  Wrong.  He was a spy late for his duty. 

He disappeared through a white door and I waited three seconds before following him inside.  Pushing it open with a slight squeak, I looked around the dimply lit passageway for his dark hair and contrasting white shirt. 

“What are you doing here, Marley?” he asked.  I turned around to face the way I had come slowly.  The man was facing me, his face red and the collar of his shirt damp.  He was angry and that was enough to make me regret following him.  His blue eyes were narrowed and piercing into mine. 

“Why do you think I’m here?” I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.  I would not let him see my fear. 

“It seems like you’re here to try and stop me,” he said.  I heard the deafening click of a gun and swallowed. 

“Try is a word I avoid in my vocabulary,” I said slowly.  “For you see, I always succeed.” 

“I wouldn’t be too sure,” he said, stepping closer and holding the gun in front of him.  I started to panic.  Where was my backup? 

“Oh, please,” I scoffed.  “Did you really think you would make it this far?” 

“I think when I pull this trigger, you’ll know the answer,” he said.  The cold metal came into contact with my throat. 

“Goodbye, Marley,” Labelle said, narrowing his crystal-like blue eyes. 

I sat up with a gasp, the sound of the gun still echoing in my mind. 

It was just a dream. 

It was just a dream.  I was alive. 

“Marley, are you okay?” Ant mumbled, rubbing his eyes.