My First Quest, EVER

AJ and I left camp early in the morning. We decided to go old fashion with no modern transportation to get where we need to go. Just the two of us and the road.

We had to go down to the great golden arches to investigate some things on Alcatraz island. Camp Jupiter alerted us of it, but were to busy to take care of the situation. So we headed out of the Apollo cabin, past the sleeping dragon under the golden fleece tree, and out into the real world with our bows and arrows notched on our backs. Adventure awaited us. We made it through the city quickly with little difficulty and, thankfully, no monsters.

We went through the Hallen Tunnel right onto the Jersey Shore, which was better than the show that my mom watched. The overcast blocked out the light from the rising sun while the waves licked the sand. The waves of the Atlantic drowned out the calls of the seagulls. Peaceful, but we could not sit and enjoy the calmness of the beach. We had to get moving to San Francisco before whatever is there moves on.

"Hey Art, you coming?" AJ asked snapping me out of my trance. I turned to him with a nod. His chocolate eyes seemed bright and full of life in the early morning, and his dirty blond hair flowed over his forehead blowing with the breeze. We both downed our camp shirts and jeans with converse. Our bows slung around our bodies like a satchel and our arrows were stuffed inside our bags, and sharpened by the Hephaestus cabin. We each had some ambrosia squares and nectar along with a first aid kit and AJ brought his lyre so he could sing some campfire songs or heal us up like in his video games.

We continued down the road for a few more hours before we sat down and ate some lunch. Dante from the Demeter cabin made us some egg salad sandwiches along with two bottles of fresh grape juice. He can really spoil people, but he really spoils his girlfriend. He would make anything that Stephanie wants.

The sandwiches and juice nailed our taste buds as usual, and then we relaxed afterward. AJ then started to play his lyre that he made a while back. Man, he loves that thing more than anything else, but when it comes to his bow. The bow wins hands down. I guess he just likes what he has and makes the most of it. He has this go big or good home attitude, always making people smile. I do not know who I would be without him.

"You're thinking about something," he said with a sly voice.

"Well I am thinking of a way to get in," I replied with a pout.

"Or you were thinking about someone," he said moved his eyebrows.

"Oh sure." I stared at him with a smirk.

"Seriously. It seems that every guy at camp thinks you're cute," he replied with a serious tone. He always looked out for me, but he spoke the truth. The head counselor of Zeus' cabin asked me out, several guys from the Aphrodite cabin, and a few guys from the Demeter, Athena, and other minor god cabins. So I thought dying my hair to the color of the ocean would be cool since I have always wanted to dye it, and maybe it would make them get off my back. Yet, it seemed to just attract more guys. Poseidon cabin especially.

My brother, my mom, and I went to CVS to pick up some supplies for the summer and I saw that the Splat hair dye had the Ombre Ocean color. So I got it. AJ helped me out with dying it. We decided that the light blue that it came with looked cool and showed off my dark blue eyes. So we dyed it all that color. We had to go out and buy two more Ombre Ocean packs since my hair goes all the way down to the middle of my back and has some thickness.

Everyone in the Apollo cabin loved my hair and so did all the other guys. Man, am I glad to be away from them, runs through my mind.

"If the Hades' cabin starts asking you out. I am quitting," he said throwing his hands up in surrender. I smiled at his gesture. He always knew how to make anything into a joke.

"You can't quit being my brother," I replied.

"That's true. But I think that if a Hades guy asks you out, I would run for the hills. Those guys just scare me." He moved into the fetal position, and I lost it. I laughed so hard that I did not even care if a monster heard me. I composed myself before walking over and hitting him on the head, hard. "Och," he growled as he rubbed his new bump.

"You deserved that. Even, I don't think a Hades and I would even work since they like death and things will I love nature. It would definitely not work out." I crossed my arms after sitting back down.

"The question is, why are they even trying. Mom wouldn't let you date until your fifteen, and we haven't even turned fourteen," he replied. Maybe by our fifteenth birthday, they will give up on me. Unfortunately, my brother and I will turn fifteen before summer, so that may be enough for them to forget about me. Two more years of denial would get the word out that I am not available. Who knows what the Three Fates have in store for me.

     After we were done relaxing, AJ and I packed up our stuff and moved on. We needed to get to Jeffersonville, New York before the end of the day, or else we would get stuck in the crowed cities where monsters lurk. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     AJ ran in front while we passed some houses on the outskirts of the city. Jeffersonville was only a mile away which was great considering that the rays of the sun began to dip below the horizon. I turned to look at the setting sun and thanked my dad for watching over us, even though, he is most likely going to go and brag to the other gods how his two greatest children are going on their first quest. My father has changed a bit from what he use to be. He used to be very self centered and always thinking about himself, (Do not get me wrong he cares for his children as well just as any of the other gods do.) but my mother changed him. That story of course would be way to long. Maybe mom should write a book about it, and I bet dad would defiantly call movie rights.

     As I looked behind us, I saw something that should not have been there. Some vrykolakas were following close behind. The only way I could describe them is a vampire and werewolf had a kid which then died and then came back to life. They looked like furry zombies with fangs. I have seen them before since I had to shot one at a rang of 200 meters(656.168 feet for those that cannot do the math). 

     "AJ! We have some paparazzi on our tail, and not the good kind," I yelled to him. He turned back and gave me a smile as if this was going to be easy. We ran over a hill while the towns lights shined bright in the dusk of the day. We ran as fast as we could to the town, and once there, we climbed up on a building to snip the vrykolakas. The building had a balcany that was just low enough to climb up on, but high enough for the vrykolakas not to get up. I took out my bow and grabbed an arrow with my right hand. I notched the silver arrow and pulled it back while I aimed my silver bow at the pack of vrykolakas. AJ had already shot one and missed the other two. I released my arrow and got two with one shot. My arrow went throw one and right into the other one. Both instantly burst into dust. AJ and I were safe for now, but more monsters are to come on this journey.