Fresh Start

The fresh Florida air filled my lungs as we finally arrived at our new house that was located on the beach. We had stopped halfway to Florida to sleep through the night and then in the morning made the rest of the drive to our new house. I was thankful that Robbins had managed to find a house a block over from us. It gave me a sense of relief knowing that she was close. I wasn't used to the overwhelming heat yet but I'd get used to that. Colorado had warm summers but not as hot as Florida. It was nearly pushing one hundred degrees outside right now. It would be nice not to have to worry about a snowstorm in the winter. I always hated the snow.

            As the movers started to unload more boxes into our house, I headed to the backyard where the beach welcomed me. This was definitely the fresh start that I needed. No more pitiful looks from the locals in Colorado because everyone there knew my story and who I was. No one wanted to be famous for being kidnapped twice by a psychopath.

            I sat down where the water met the sand and stuck my toes in the warm water. I'd probably never actually go swimming in the ocean since I never cared for it. Getting my feet wet was the extent of getting into the ocean for me. Thankfully, my aunt and uncle found more of a secluded house for us. We were too close to other neighbors which meant no one would be poking around in our business. I want to meet people but not allow them to get close to me.

           Listening to the waves crash into the sand before me, sent horrible flashbacks from the Bahamas. Sadly, I'd probably never be able to visit there on my free will again. Kyle ruined that for me. Tears filled my eyes as I tried desperately to forget that memory of us on the beach. This was my fresh start, I couldn't be crying anymore. I had to be strong. Kyle was out of my life and hopefully, the police would find him soon.

           I moved across the country so he shouldn't be able to find me easily. I was away from him and that's all I cared about. I'd just have to put my faith in the police that he would never get to me again. Robbins would protect me if something were to happen. She always had my best interest in her heart. Heck, she moved across the country for me. There nothing that she wouldn't do to protect me and I couldn't thank her enough for that.

          I stared out into the never-ending ocean, its crystal blue color shining back at me. It was such a beautiful sight, making me feel warm inside. Not wanting to ruin this moment with thoughts of the past, I stood up and brushed the sand off of me. I wanted to explore my new house which would be where I created new memories.

             It was a stellar two-story home which I liked because there are plenty of ways to escape my aunt and uncle when I needed to be alone. I opened the sliding glass door that connected the back of my house to the beach. A wave of cool air hit me as I entered which felt extremely refreshing after sitting outside in the blazing heat.

            Once inside, to the right was a giant kitchen that my aunt would love cooking in. To my left was the living room where several unopened boxes sat along with some furniture. I started to explore the rest of the downstairs which consisted of a bathroom, a guest room and what would most likely be an office for my uncle. Everything was white tile flooring and colorless walls which I knew my aunt was all ready to start painting them.

            I climbed the stairs to the second floor where there were two bedrooms and a bathroom. The first door on the right was my bathroom that I would be using. The bathroom was already decorated, possibly from the previous owners. Tropical wallpaper covered the walls and a blue, ocean shower curtain hung up. There was a bowl of seashells on the back of the toilet and a fuzzy blue rug that covered the tiled floor. It was a comfortable size bathroom for me.

             I entered the second door on the right which my aunt said was my room. I opened the door and stood in awe. A smile appeared on my face as I entered my room. This was amazing. This room was twice the size of my other room back in Colorado. I opened up the first door on the left to reveal a large walk-in closet. My eyes widened as the urge to scream consumed me. I'd never had a lot of room before so this was perfect.