ETERNAL BREED (A Vampire's Diary - Book 1)

• Dedicated to Michelle Gereaux

Eternal Breed 

(A poem) by Paul Kodi 

I will live undying. 

I will walk the night alone. 

I will fear no evil, 

For evil is my own. 

I will bow to no one: 

Not gOD, nor time, or death. 

I will be immortal fear: 

Darkness drawing breath. 

I will be forever: 

A stalker in the night. 

I will show no mercy 

For children of the light. 

Though I walk amoung you, 

Upon your life I feed. 

This I do with no remorse. 

I am eternal breed.

Prologue 

I am the beginning. 

I am the end. 

I am youth eternal with age unimaginable. 

I am Kodi Mykalz. 

I am a vampyre.

Eternal Breed

Book One 

In The Beginning 

Chapter 1 

I was born in the Indus Valley: Anu, first "Crown Prince" and heir to the throne of the first civilization in history. Three-thousand years "Before Christ" my father and thirty like-minded men, along with their families, founded the city of Ur. This was only a few short years before my birth. My brother, Amil, of whom you will learn later, was born just after, when I was five years of age. Our mother went to her grave in the process of giving birth to him. 

(Brief Aside: Please, forgive me if dates or exact geographical locations conflict or contradict what you may have learned in school. Historians, though noble in their pursuits, are not perfect, and their methods are imprecise. I, however, lived this all, and so I am quite confident in my accuracy.) 

During the years of my childhood, many people were attracted to Ur and our kingdoms way of life. Until this time people lived mostly in small nomadic bands that spent most of their time fighting to survive. In Ur, only those who wished to fight served as warriors. Others were free to be whatever they wished; be it a farmer, a craftsman, an artist, a musician, or a scholar. As the city grew, so did its army. Thusly, we managed to maintain peace and posterity that had not been seen before. Our population grew so rapidly in fact, that by the time I was in my teens; two more cities (Uruk and Larsa) were founded and sworn to my father, making us a kingdom. You would know us as Sumeria. 

As a result of our expansion, border skirmishes were inevitable. Though our army was strong, my father tried to settle these entanglements peacefully whenever possible. Often negotiations with larger, more prosperous clans, led to the trade for goods and services, which insured future peace with said tribe. 

One such agreement was with a large group of mystics and craftsmen of amazing skill. Rumor was that they were the last descendents of Atlantis. Were that true, I do not know, for even in that day, Atlantis had long become legend, and any proof of its existence erased. But, I digress. 

Trade with these Atlantians was generous from both sides at first. But, over time our people learned much of the Atlantians' craft, through both observation and what is now known as reverse engineering, so need for the Atlantians' goods dwindled. This disturbed the nomads. Between that, and a growing distrust of the Atlantians' mysticism, fighting between our two peoples eventually resumed.