Chapter One

This is a sample of my book, which is available for sale on smashwords.com, barnes and noble, amazon, and many other ebook sites through smashwords. (Kobo, sony, apple)

CHAPTER

ONE

Where do to start? Well ... no... maybe.. ah no how about... nah. Well here it goes. Kailee woke up this morning to her parents acting kind of strange. Well really strange. Her mother came home late the night before with a huge pink luggage bag and then when she walked down stairs for breakfast this morning her mother had made her favorite breakfast of fried red potatoes, French toast, and bacon along with some fresh squeezed orange juice. It was a little strange. It wasn't her birthday or any other special day, but what the heck; she loved it and she wasn't going to complain.

"Make sure your home for dinner by 6 pm dear." Her mother, Sarah cooed waving as she began her walk to school. She usually walked the two miles to school every day happily because her friend Jade walked with her; together they talked and laughed as the boys tried to get them to ride in their cars. Kailee preferred to walk especially since she had no particular interest in the boys at her school. Why, because they were immature, stuck up, and most were jerks. They lusted for her. She was gorgeous, well that's what Jade told her but she didn't believe it.

At the end of the school day together the best friends walked back home together every day. Ever since they were little they were practically joined at the hip. Today they went back to Kailee's house since her mom had plans for her later.

They came through the door to a nearly silent home and walked up to Kailee's room and began their daily overview of how school went and what homework they could work on together, along with what they had planned on doing for the rest of the week. When five thirty rolled around Kailee's mother tapped on the door.

"Kailee it's time for dinner, Jade needs to go home, now." her mother said flatly.

"Can she stay?" Kailee asked.

"No" her mother's reply somewhat cold. She normally was friendly; and loved Jade; she treated her like part of the family, but today was different. She was mean and cruel.

"Well I guess I will see you tomorrow." Jade sighed as she hugged her friend goodbye at the door.

"Of course, Sweetie." Kailee said as Jade half smiled. After she shut the door she hurried toward the dining room she froze at the entry way at her parent's solemn expressions. What is up with them? She wondered.

"After dinner you need to pack." John, Kailee's father grimaced. He tried to cover it up with a small smile but Kailee caught it.

"Why dad what's up?" Kailee asked curiously.

"You are moving." Sarah replied coolly.

"We are moving? What, when, where, most importantly, why?" Kailee's words tumbled out in a slurry of word vomit. She couldn't control it; she didn't want to leave her friends, especially Jade.

"Not we. YOU." Her father was harsh with his words but he knew he didn't have a choice. If he didn't be harsh Kailee would resist and that wouldn't be good for anyone especially his family.

"WHAT! By myself? Don't tell me you are putting me in a boarding school or something because I have good grades, I ... don't ... get... in troubbbble." By the end of her babble her father held up a hand to his now crying daughter to silence her.

"You're not going to a boarding school, you're moving in with your fiancé. He lives in North Dakota with his family. He wants you there in a few days so you are leaving." He growled a loud menacing noise which scared Kailee.

A blank look of confusion washed over Kailee's delicate features as she shoved her chair back angrily leaving her plate full of food on the table and stiffly walked back to her room. She slammed the door with as much force as she could muster. The words of her father did not fully sink in until she closed her bedroom door. She began to cry harder as she fell ungracefully onto her bed.

She would turn eighteen in a few weeks so she would have tried to get out of it but right now she didn't know what else to do. What her father said went, she doesn't really know why but she couldn't disobey him if she tried. It almost felt impossible to disobey his words. Some unknown voice in her head said you must obey him. She continued to cry into her pillow until she heard a knock on the door.