Broken -Humpty Dumpty Remake-

Greyson Humphrey winced as the light entered his room. He groaned as he stretched his arms and let out a long  yawn.

“Good mornin-,” he caught himself and winced as he realized that no one was there. He ran his hand through his hair and looked down at the empty spot beside him. The grief that had been suppressed during the night came hurdling back at him, bringing back painful memories.

***

Lisa’s hand gently grazed over Greyson’s, instantly bringing a smile to his face.

“In just a few months, we’ll have our own family,” she said happily, patting her stomach.

He nodded and looked into his wife’s eyes. Everything seemed perfect. Their restaurant was doing extremely well , and soon they would have a family to call their own. Nothing could’ve made them felt any happier.

Everything they had ever wished for was granted.

***

Greyson bit down hard on his lip in frustration. His heart contracted inside of him, finding the pain too hard to bear.

His eyes shifted down to his ring, as he brushed his finger over Lisa’s engraved name. Lisa, Forever and Always, it read.

A single tear rolled down his cheek. “If only I could’ve stopped it.”

***

“Order’s up!”

The smell of crisp bacon wafted through the restaurant, causing everyone’s mouth to water.

Happy chattering filled the small room as the waitresses joyfully handed the customers their food.

This was the reason that, “The Cracked Egg,” was considered the town jewel. There was never a frown in sight when you entered the small area. It was a great place to relax and just be happy.

Anyone would’ve been  proud to call the restaurant theirs.

Anyone but Greyson  Humphrey.

The restaurant was their  pride and joy, but now that Lisa  was gone, it was just a sore reminder of what Greyson could’ve had; what his life could’ve been.

“Mr. Humphrey!” a small voice called from across the room.

Greyson sighed. “What?”

The waitress’s eyes widened at the harsh tone in his voice.

“I-I just-,”

“Spit it out,” he snapped.

Her features lit up with fear, as his eyes burned into her skull. “Something came up, and I have to get home now. It’s an emergency.”

“What is so important that you have to leave now? Can’t you see that we are extremely busy?!”

“Bu-but,” she stuttered.

Greyson let out a twisted laugh. “You know what? Why don’t you just get out of here?!” He paused, watching the girl’s eyes widen. “You’re fired!”

The restaurant silenced, only the sound of the girls crying remained as she ran for the door. customersturned in Greyson’s direction; their bodies brimming with worry and concern.

“Are you okay, Mr. Humphrey?” they asked.

“I’m fine, just leave me alone.”

***

The street narrowed as they entered a small road.

Lisa gripped onto Greyson’s warm hand. “Three more weeks and our baby will be here.”

Greyson smiled and spared a second to lean over and kiss his wife on the cheek.

She chuckled, and poked her buldging stomach. “What I meant was, “Three more weeks and I can finally fit into my jeans”.”

He let out a soft laugh, completely unaware of the speeding truck charging at them.

The sound of crunching metal and screaming rang in the air. The very earth seemed to scream at the impact, feeling the pain that the Humphrey’s did.

Greyson felt all the warmth leave his body as the cold of the night took over his senses.

The last thing he remembered was the crimson blood sprayed over the small dirt road, and the sound of sirens getting further and further away.

***

Sweat ran down Greyson’s forehead.

He couldn’t take this anymore.

He couldn’t take the haunting memories.

He couldn’t take the loneliness.

He couldn’t take the empty feeling in his chest that constantly reminds him of the past.

But you now what the worst thing was?

It was that the one person that could’ve fixed this, was no where on the face of this universe.

Tears spilled out of his eyes, as the sorrow washed over him. His hands automatically going to his head, almost as if they were searching for answers.

“Maybe all I need is to drive around, maybe that will calm me down.”

***

“Peyton street, that’s where I need to go,” Greyson murmured.

He made a sharp but familiar left onto the dirt road. The tension inside of him instantly loosened, as the welcoming surroundings embraced him. A smile tugged at his lips as he pulled over at the side of the road.

He found it quite strange that the one place that ruined his life was the place that brought him the most peace. Maybe it was the calming scenery, or maybe it was because this was as close as he was ever going to get to Lisa again.

Greyson checked the surroundings for any signs of approaching cars before finally settling down on the cold floor, breathing the crisp autumn air in. He tuned everything out, and let his senses take over.  He felt the wind brush against his airs, and felt the slight poke of the rocks beneath his legs.

Then, suddenly, the road shook.

Greyson’s head snapped up, only to see a car barrelling towards him. A horrible pain shot through him as the car made contact with his body. He felt an odd sense of déjàvu as he saw pools of his own blood, running down the road. There was no denying that this was the end, and truth be told, Greyson didn’t mind.

The only thoughts in his mind were ones of him and Lisa finally being able to reunite. Ones, where hewas finally able to be happy.

The night sky blurred in his eyes as his final moments approached him.

“I’ll see you soon, Lisa.”

*** Hey you lovely readers. I know that this is a much more serious side to my writing, but this was actually a writing assignment I did, and I thought it came out very well, so I decided to share it with all of you :3 It's a retelling of Humpty Dumpty, but I didn't want to do it too literally, so I used it more as a metaphor and applied it to real life. And just so you know, I was originally going to make Greyson commit suicide, but unfortunately, I was not allowed to do so (due to the immaturity of my class), so yeah, that's why his death is a little unrealistic.  Let's just say that when he went on that road, he had sort of expected his death ;) Well, anyways, tell me what you think in the comments below. Feedback is always greatly appreciated.