World of Bones

It has been eighty seven years since the rupture occured.

The rupture is also known as the judgement day - the apocalypse as stated in the Book of Revelations. The world, however, was not necessarily destroyed. Cities still flourished and business went on in many countries and states. It felt as if nothing had happened at all. Well, except for the fact that there are billions of dead people walking about. 

Humanity, after the rupture, was then abandoned. It was believed that the God of Death itself died or rather disappeared. Humanity then was unable to pass on, even after their ephemeral bodies die. People became unable to die as a result of the rupture. When the first group of people lost their lives in a freak bus accident in Northern Carolina and actually came back alive as if nothing had happened at all, the entire world was terrified and shocked. Soon, the ammount of the living deceased people gradually increased as riots and chaos broke through the major cities of the world.  In the first few weeks after the rupture, roughly about ten million people have died. As chaos and destruction ensued, thousands and thousands of people died and returned as the living deceased humans. Havoc and despair filled the world. Soon, war broke out between the living and the dead, with the dead outnumbering the living with a hundred to one. The war continued on until the last bit of the living humanity dwindled down to mere millions.

On the 80th year after the rupture, roughly a few hundred thousand living humans survived the catastrophe. The living humans then established walled city-states in order to prevent the living deceased humans, known as the bones, from entering their lands. The bones are remnants of those humans who died several decades ago - now stripped entirely of their flesh, leaving nothing but hallowed skeletons and their souls at its wake. To the living humans, bones are mad creatures deprived of their humanity.

The bones, comprising of about six billion and four hundred thousand, were known to be in terrible terms with the surviving humans. After all, these bones used to be humans themselves and longed to be alive once more. However, they could not do that - they could barely even pass on into the afterlife, if such thing existed in the first place. The bones were jealous of the living and they are driven mad with the idea that they had been stripped off their right to be alive. 

This is the world of the dead. The world is nothing but a colossal tomb, housing billions of restless dead. Those who opposed the rules of the dead eventually join in the horde of skulls. The world has become a nirvana for the dead. Their world, thus, is made for the dead itself.

Of the dead, by the dead, and for the dead. 

Welcome to the World of Bones.