Looking After the Harrison Boys : Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

I gripped tightly onto the steering wheel and blew out a heap of air, releasing the tension in my shoulders. “You really think this is going to work, Cyn?” I asked Cynthia through the ear piece, my voice slightly wobbling at the end.

“Trust me, it’s going to work. I made sure it everything was top-notch and perfect.” Cynthia cheerfully reassured me. “So stop worrying will you?”

I remained silent for a few moments, just so I could take a few more deep breaths before I replied back, agreeing with her. “Yeah, you’re right. Thanks for everything Cyn.” I thanked her once again and resumed back to driving.  

“No problemo Amigo.”

Oh god, not this again. “Seriously Cyn, you’re still in your Spanish phase?” I laughed as I stopped at an incoming red light, my tension slow coming back. Why am I still so nervous about this?

“What? I like Spanish, okay? Don’t judge me!”

I rolled my eyes and chuckled dryly under my breath. “I’m not judging you. I was just simply asking.” I stated, my eyes focusing on the lights, the tension gradually growing. Come on…any minute now… “Oh, while we’re on the lines of Spanish, how’d it go with Leo the other night?” I asked quickly, hopefully not sounding too anxious for her to recognize it.

Come on…

Thankfully a second later, the light turned green and I immediately turned my gear on, taking a big swift turn to the right into the main street, the tension instantly leaving my body.

Letting out a relieved sigh, I went back to the ear piece and heard nothing but loud grumbles at the other end. I couldn’t help but laugh quietly in my mind. That alone was enough to answer my previous question. “Let me guess, it didn’t end so well?”

She scoffed. “He wanted to be ‘just friends’, Amelia. Just friends.” She informed me, her voice sounding disgusted. “And yet, he kissed me like a week ago and let me tell you, that was no ordinary kiss! I mean, I know it wasn’t, it –“

I cut in, shaking my head, “Cynthia, he gave a kiss on the cheek, not on the lips.”

“But –“

“Cyn,” I said in my warning tone. She’s been misunderstanding the kiss on the cheek for almost week now thinking it meant something. But hello, that guy kisses every girl he sees on the cheek. Yeah, a cheek player is what he is.

She sighed exasperatedly and muttered something I couldn’t properly hear. “Okay, okay whatever….it was just a kiss on the cheek… Are you keeping your eyes on the road?”

Accepting the change of the topic, I sarcastically answered back, “Oh nah, I’m not. In fact, I’m not even driving. The monkey’s driving me there.”

“You took Pablo with you!? Are you out of your mind!?” Her voice screeched through the ear piece and instinctively, I pulled the ear piece out a little, relieving some of the pain that was ringing in my ear. Once I felt it was okay enough, I put it back in and began talking, letting out small fits of laughter.

“Cyn, I was joking!” I told her a matter-of-factly. “I’m not that crazy to bring him along to something important as this.”

“Oh, oh, good. Gosh, you almost gave me a heart attack there!” She exclaimed, her breathing still vigorously heavily. “Don’t ever joke like that again!”

“Well next time, don’t be so gullible and you wouldn’t have to experience near-heart-attacks.” I told her. “Hey, are you sure I’m going the right way? Because…I don’t see a ‘Waterfields Falls’ sign anywhere…”