Prologue

Prologue:

Isabella's POV:

I slowly pried my eyes open despite their protests. A beam of bright white light blinded my vision. Leaning over to look at my alarm clock, I groaned as I saw it was only 4:36am. I knew I wasn't going to get much sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow last night, it was expected I guess. Coming to the conclusion that I wouldn't get back to sleep any time soon, I peeled the soft covers off my body and sat up, slipping out of bed.

I walked as silently as possible over to the mirror and took a look at the unique girl, who'd be no more as of a few hours from now. Today is the day, I thought to myself. Today is the day I'd change into a girl like every other. I'd no longer be unique. I'd no longer be different. I'd no longer be me, and to say that terrified me was an understatement.

You see, the government has this law. The minute any citizen of Kalemturns ten years old, they must be injected with the "GE" or "Genetically Engineered" serum. Once injected, this serum works to change your DNA in the time period of twenty four hours (while you're passed out) to match everyone elses. Your looks, your thought process, your likes and dislikes, your style, your hand writing, everything that makes you who you are, is just like everybody else! On top of all this, I'm the president of Kalem's daughter, so I'm pretty much expected to be the perfect genetically engineered little girl that every parent dreams of. It's a lot of pressure on a nine year old girl's shoulders.

So in simpler form, when I turn ten years old at 7:05pm today, May 2nd, my family and I are all going to go to our family doctor, where I will then be given a needle that'll make me a living, breathing machine just like everybody else. Never to be me again. Mind you, I'm only nine right now, so the whole thought of the "GE" serum scares me to no end! No matter how many times my parents and older brothers try to tell me it was nothing, that I'd enjoy my new self and that life would be so much better after the injection, I was still quite uncertain about it and couldn't get myself to relax. I didn't want to be like everybody else, unlike the rest of my family.

I took a mental image of the girl standing in front of the mirror. After today, I'd never see her again. After today, my shoulder length, straight, golden blonde hair will become elbow length, curly, platinum blonde hair. After today, my violet eyes and medium length eyelashes will become bright, aqua blue, eyes with long, curly eyelashes. My tan will get darker, my legs will get longer, and my fingers, daintier.

Males on the other hand, are gifted with short black hair, emerald green eyes with thick black eyelashes, a nice tan, long, strong legs and tend to get bulkier after the injection.

There are somethings that stay almost the same after the injection like your nose, ears, freckles (if you have any), lips, teeth, curves and your chin. Although they're still yours, they do tend to change in size a bit. You also get to keep your hair the way you want it as long as it's between a certain length.

It'll be sad never seeing the real me again. I don't understand how everyone copes with it, let alone enjoys it!

I stared at myself for a little while longer. When I was done memorizing the nine year old me, I got up, looked at the clock and was surprised to see it was already 5:02am. My stomach started grumbling. It was probably because I couldn't eat much last night at dinner as I was stressing over the dreadful fourty eight hours ahead.

I quietly opened and closed my bedroom door, careful as too not wake anybody up. I sped down the stairs cringing as one of the steps made a squeak. Once I was positive no one heard it, I released a breath I didn't know I was holding and continued on my hunt for food. Once I reached the kitchen, I froze hearing someone's voice.