La Llorona

La Llorona

Retold BY FATIMA

This is my story. I am named Maria,but I am known as la llorona. I hate it!!!! I used to be the most beautiful women in town. Everybody wanted to marry me, kiss, or be me. I was kind a loving untill I met Jose. He was a handsome man with brown eyes, black hair, a black suit, a white mexican hat, and white boots. I had wavy black hair, a sky blue dress, pretty white sandals, and white long gloves. I didn't fall for anybody until I met him. We feel in love! I loved him so much!

Everybody wanted a relationship like ours. We were the best couple in town. Every day he gave me gifts, took me out, or we did something fun. But then, then we had kids!

I loved them. But sometimes I hated them! We had a boy that looked like Jose, we named him as his father, Chicitito Jose is what we called him. It means small Jose in Spanish.

Then two years later we had a girl. She looked like my mother, who. I named her Maria de luz like her. She had blue eyes, brown hair, and tan skin. Chicitito Jose had black hair, brown eyes, and pale skin. I loved them so much.

We were happy at first but then I got old. I wasn't the most beautiful lady in town anymore. Jose drifted away from me each day. He went to town saying he had to do work because he was a traveler. I was told he was cheating on me and flirted with young women. I was so mad!

I asked him if he was and we fought and fought. After a month or so he confessed. He said I was ugly and old. I said I could be beautiful again but he said I can never be beautiful again. He wanted a divorce and the kids, Then he left. I cried and cried. But then I asked myself why should I cry, it's not my fault I am ugly.

It was the kids fault! They made me ugly after they were born and made Jose hate me. Jose just loves the kids and not me anymore. He will never have them! The children ruined my relationship with Jose. So I took my eight year old son and six year old daughter to the river. I drowned them so they could be punished. They cried and kicked and tried to fight back but they were just kids and I took them down quickly. My son looked at me with sad eyes saying nothing just crying help and my daughter, she loved me, her last words were "porque mami?, porque?" It means, Why mother, why a tear ran down her face will I drowned.But I didn't care!

After I killed my children I realized what I have done. I cried and cried. I ran home and I saw Jose and told him what I did. He slapped me, kicked me, punched, and hated me. He was going to tell the police so he tied me to a a chair so I wouldn't run away.

I wiggled out and went to the river to look for my children. They were gone! I was so sad. I realized I was a bad mother. I cried and then I drowned myself and died.Now I roam around rivers looking, hopefully for my children. I cry while trying to look for them because I realized how much I love them. People have seen me and call me The Llorona. I cry out to my children : Mis Hillos, mis Hillos!.It means My children,my children!

HAVE YOU SEEN THEM!!!