Dunabar (A work in progress)

Start from the beginning

Chapter One

"Come back here you worm!! Come back here and return that food!" Jinta, cloaked in his traditional black, form-fitting garments, just laughs merrily as he leaps from vender-top to vender-top, lightly skipping across the paper-thin fabric as the guards flail after him in the cobbled streets. Most of the people in the streets, dressed in their rags that barely hide the bones and sagging skin beneath, just smile to themselves as they watch the circus act that Jinta always puts on to tease the heavily armored guards. He did this both to elude, and to make the inhabitants smile, something that only shows on their faces when Jinta is on the prowl. He is always stealing food and Yinlari coins for those families that are taxed nearly to death because of the demands of the High Twins. They need funds to find the Final Piece of the Orb. With the threat of a rebellion on the brink, chaos is erupting all over the city. 

Jinta leapt for the next stall...and tumbled to the ground in a dusty heap, as the guards that split off from the main group a while back had circled ahead and chopped the roof off, much to the dismay of the livestock vendor that the ruined roof belonged to. The vendor's cages broke open by the roof, supported by the weakened pillars, crashing down, and all his livestock waddled or flew or ran off, depending on their mode of transportation. Jinta leapt off of the roof, his footing failing under his flailing feet, landing in a huge pile of feces. 

"Hello there gents, lovely day isn't it." Jinta stood up, scraping as much of the lumps that he could off of his pristine black outfit. Good thing that he has hiding spots all over the place to change outfits. He looked at the guards in their glinting armor, and put on a frown. "Now look at what you made me do. Fine day THIS is turning out to be." 

"It is now, now that we have you, finally, you pathetic piece of...well...look at what you landed in!" The guards chuckled, thinking that Jinta had finally been made a public fool. The lead guard then brought out his Binding Orb, and activated it, binding Jinta tightly with an invisible rope. Jinta's eyes widened slightly as he had gotten himself caught of guard. This is something that he hasn't done since he began life as a rogue. 

"If I am a pathetic creature, why do I keep escaping your grasp? Although it seems that, you have me in quite the bind right now. I suppose that you have to win every once in a while otherwise you get replaced, am I correct on that assumption?" The lead guard cuffed Jinta roughly across the face with a heavily gauntleted fist, tumbling Jinta back into the pile of dung he had landed in, bleeding profusely from a split lip. "Lemme guess...you are going to take me to the High Knight, aren't you? Ah well...then I will have to take my leave then. I really ought to clean up first, if I am to appear before the Knight." 

"You aren't going anywh...YEOUCH!" The reason for the yelp of pain is that a rock had been tossed and shattered the Binding Orb, which dissolved the spell around Jinta, who immediately bowed to the public. The guards looked in all directions, wondering who threw the rock. They left Jinta alone for just a few moments while they activated their Sword Orbs for offensive procedure and began to scan for the offender that broke their Orb and disabled the other Binding Orbs, a capital offence, punishable by the Death Orb.  

This gave Jinta an opportunity to make a grand exit. "It has been a pleasure, but I must be off now." He dropped a bag of Yinlari enough to pay for at least half of the livestock, even though he doubted that any of them would have sold in the first place, bounded away and rounded the corner, and he pulled out his own Teleport Orb, and appeared at the house he was headed for. The trip wrenched him from his inner core, stripping layer after layer of flesh, although painlessly, and pulling him in every direction at once, and then put back together at the destination that he had set in his mind. After a few moments to regain his sense of direction, he went around the corner where he stashed a new outfit, in case of rips and tears, not expecting manure to ruin this outfit. He then knocked on the door, which slowly opened enough so that the people on the other side of the door could see who was at the door, and then the door flew open and Jinta was dragged inside. "I have returned, with the food and 300 Yinlari. Hopefully the Twins won't take it back from you anytime soon." He set the several loaves of bread and sack of fruits on the table, and then pulled out a second, small, cloth bag, and tossed it on the table next to the fruit, and then turned down any payment. "It is my honor to help those oppressed. I too know what it is like to be oppressed, so I know the pains that you feel for yourself and for your family. You need everything that I have brought with me to survive."