Chapter 8: A Stake for Dinner [EDITED]

A stake through the heart never hurt anyone. Said no one ever.

 It was really my only option. It was the oldest vampire killing weapon in the book. That and sunlight which I was still holding out hope for. If he couldn’t come out during the day, I could torture him for information using the sun...which was never going to happen.

 I obviously wasn’t getting enough oxygen to my head. I’d been sitting on my butt for at least nine hours because there was nothing to do inside. It was messing with my thought processes. If I was going to get anything out of Tyven, I was going to have to make sure he didn’t kill me first.

 It was midday, 5:03 P.M. Not yet dark. Actually it was one of the brightest times of the day today. Strange. I tapped my fingers on my desk. There is no going back after today. Did I really want to join in this mess more than I already had? Yes. Seren obviously wasn’t going to come through with his ‘it’s no longer your problem’ plan.

 This is just like True Blood. Sookie got sucked into everything because of her curiosity and now I am headed down the same road. I should just leave things alone. Who knew anything interesting could happen here in Whitewater, Montana? I sighed. The only thing I was really worried about was Tyven trying to kiss me again. That was one thing I managed to neglect in my conversation with Seren.

 It was also the one thing that made me wonder if he actually wanted to kill me. Maybe vampires like “playing” with their food before they eat it, but it had felt different. It was almost like Tyven had gotten lost in the moment as well. I had to try to talk to him. I’d have my stake handy if things went south. I’ll go and talk for a little bit, then I’ll come back. Simple.

 No. Not simple.

 From the second I set foot outside my door, the air changed; a shiver went up my spine. I almost went back inside. No one was there, but I could feel someone’s eyes on me. That meant he probably saw Seren come by. Maybe it urged him to keep his distance. Or maybe it was the sun keeping him away. The bite mark on my wrist stung uncomfortably under the bandage I’d refreshed around it after Seren came by.

 I walked down the front steps, not sure what to do next. Going into town was probably a bad idea. People would get suspicious. My best bet was the car. Gripping the keys in my right hand, I sauntered over to the car door to shove the key into the lock.

 “Off to school finally?” The statement was sarcastic, but scared the living daylight out of me. Tyven had decided to show up out of nowhere to lean on the side of my car. I guess that ruled out no walking in the sunshine.

 Even though the comment was sarcastic, I felt the urge to respond. “You know as well as I school ended over an hour ago.”

 He hadn’t killed me yet, so that was a good sign. Maybe I’d been right about the kiss. I turned my head slightly to get a better view of his face. It held that ingenious smirk.

 “Careful Cassie. I was just trying to make friendly conversation.” We both knew that was a lie. Him and me did not equal friendly conversation.

 “Yeah, sure,” I said glumly, not amused, “I actually wanted to uh… talk?”

 “Talk? Really? You do know I’m a murderer.”

 “If you wanted to kill me, I’d already be dead.” I pointed out.

 Tyven leaned in towards me, looking down at me. I resisted the urge to cringe away.

 “You’re right.” He leaned back. “I had a little change of heart after your werewolf buddy showed up.”

 “He’s not my buddy.”

 Tyven shrugged. “I guess you did slam the door in his face.” He added, “Your screaming match was pretty loud as well.”