The vending machine

She was kicking a vending machine when he met her. He had been walking through the blindingly white halls of the local hospital, avoiding his mum when he heard a great banging echoing down the corridor.

Curious, he walked towards the sound to find a teenage girl (about his age) kicking a vending machine with such gusto that it sent her brown curls flying around her face.

She was so enthused, in fact, that she did not notice him standing next to her.

After a few moments (and a particularly jarring kick to the machine and grunt from the girl) he cleared his throat.

"Hey, uh,"

She did not appear to hear him however, and continued to beat up the machine.

"Uh, excuse me," he said a little louder, moving closer to her.

When she still gave no reply, he tried again. "OI, LADY!"

She paused in mid kick and turned to face him, her chocolate brown eyes wide, her lips slightly parted.

"Huh?" she said, dazed at how close the boy had gotten without her noticing.

"What're you doing?" he asked.

"Oh. I want a Coke." she said, as if it were obvious.

"And you're kicking the vending machine, why?" he asked, raising his eyebrow.

She sighed, irritated. "Because the damn machine is jammed. I put two bucks in there and I didn't get my Coke, so either one's gotta budge if I kick it long enough, won't it?"

"Why can't you just except defeat like a normal person would, and walk away?" he asked, smirking.

She scowled. "Because then the vending machine would win. I can't let that happen." She shuddered at the very thought.

"Let me try." he suggested.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Yeah right, like a scrawny boy like you could possibly manage to out kick me. Puh-lease."

"Watch me." he grinned. "May I?" he gestured towards the vending machine.

She rolled her eyes but moved aside all the same.

He stepped towards the machine and inspected it for a moment before banging the coin slot with his fist.

It rattled and the sound of metal clanging against the machine's insides clattered noisily.

A moment later, a can of Coke appeared out the slot of the machine. He bent down and picked it up, handing it to her, grinning triumphantly.

She scowled, but took the can all the same. "I loosened it up for you," she mumbled, avoiding his gaze.

"Sure, sure," he said mockingly, "and I'm a mutant bird kid who lives in an E-shaped house."

He chuckled as her scowl deepened. She looked cute when she was pissed off.

"So, am I gonna get a thank you? Any sign of gratitude for performing this life changing act?"

"Fine," she said through clenched teeth. She looked at her shoes and mumbled something inaudible.

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that." he said, cupping a hand around his ear and turning his head so that his ear was facing her. "Could you repeat that please?"

"Thank you," she said a little louder.

"Pardon?"

"THANK YOU!" she roared, her voice resonating throughout the corridors.