The Princesses of Versailles

***dedicated to LifeLustingDreamer for the amazing cover***

Once upon a cold winters night, a queen gave birth to two beautiful, baby Princesses. Before this, however, the queen had been very sick. All of the kingdoms best doctors did what they could, but with such deteriorating health, she was forced to give birth to the twin girls two months too early. Sadly, her body could not withstand the birth, and she passed away just moments after. But with her last breaths, the queen looked down at her two glorious creations and said to them, "You two are destined for a fantastic future. I can see it in your girls' eyes, you will both do such great things." And as she laid down her head, closing her eyes, she whispered, "I love you."

The ceremony was small, featuring only close family and friends. The rest of the kingdom would mourn the loss of their wonderful queen later. Now was the time for the grieving of those of which Queen Rosalyn's death had hit the hardest. Beautiful bunches of flowers were set upon her fresh grave as blossoms fell from a nearby apple tree. Queen Rosalyn has always thought of herself as no better than any of the rest of the kingdom, and from that requested she was buried in a cemetery rather than a family tomb or the catacombs. This was a dark day for all.

Prior to this, the twins had been cared for by the nurses with little help from their father, King Linus, who had barely said or done a thing since the passing of his beloved wife. The girls were bathed, clothed, and fed daily, but before all of this, they were named. They were given the names their mother had originally wanted: Veronica was the first one out, a natural born leader; Victoria was smaller, her growth stunted by the dominance of her sister and early birth.

As time passed, the king could handle no more and was taken by a bottle of poison in his finest wine's chalice. This only added to the kingdoms devastation, giving King Linus' younger brother, Louis, the opportunity to step in with promises of a brighter future and prosperity for all. For once since the queens death, things were starting to look up for the kingdom of Versallies.