One - New beginnings

"Huh it should be right around here."

Her mother glances at her phone quizzically before making a sharp left, sending Alana's own body careening towards the window. Alana let out a grunt of pain as her shoulder connected with the side of the car.

"Aha here we go!"

Her mother pulls into the driveway of a two story house. The lovely house was made entirely of bricks & gave an old fashioned feel that Alana adored immediately. There were steps leading up to the porch where four white beams supported the balcony above. Two massive pine trees towered, one on each side of the house, framing the house.

Alana stepped out of the car, the crisp autumn air nipping at her skin. Well it definitely screamed 'welcome to Canada,' that's for sure. Her mom was an empowered business women in this big company that dealt with banking & every few years she was offered new positions, ones that they'd have to move for. You could say she was used to uprooting her life, but as she got older, it became harder. Especially considering the fact that back in New York she had a boyfriend & a best friend she left behind. It didn't help that she was a single child & her dad was no longer in the picture. It'd  just been the two of them for a long while.

Alana grabbed one of the many boxes from the moving van that had followed their rental car from the airport & made her way into her new home. The inside of the house was no less spectacular than the outside. She was greeted with high ceilings & polished wooden floors. She took a fleeting glance at the living room, spotting lush carpets & a brick fireplace that she knew would come in handy during the hard Canadian winters. She proceeded up the winding staircase, finally deciding on a room towards the end of the hall. The walls were painted a faded white, giving her freedom to design the room as she wanted. This room was twice as big her room back home in New York. Heck this house could swallow the high class apartment they'd had in Manhattan.

She set the box down on the floor, walking towards the little balcony that came with this room, another reason she had picked it. She opened the French doors & stepped out onto the ten by ten foot square space. The smell of pine engulfed her & sure enough to the left of her one of the pine trees leaned slightly onto the balcony.

After letting the serene atmosphere calm her, she decided she needed to distance herself from her house & mother. Don't get her wrong, she loved her mother very much but imagine spending a six hour flight together then taking a two hour car ride together. Yeah, you'd probably want your space too.

Alana grabbed her tan trench coat, the one that complimented her auburn hair & wrapped it over herself. She didn't fail to notice the setting sun & dropping temperatures. Deciding her ripped black jeans would suffice, she stuffed her feet into some black lace up boots. Grabbing her phone & wallet she made her way down the winding staircase.

Alana found her mother at the entrance of the door, instructing the moving men where to put the furniture & asking them to move it around every few moments. Two guys in particular were grunting with the weight of their sofa because her mom just could not decide where to put it. Her mother spotted her, ushering her closer, no doubt wanting her opinion.

"Do you think the sofa should face the fireplace or the window?"

Alana answered immediately. "Facing the fireplace for sure."

Her mother nodded her head in approval. "All right men you heard the lady, facing the fireplace!" Her mother flicked her hands in a motion as if saying 'well get on with it'. Alana couldn't help but feel a little bad for them, sending them sheepish smiles.

"Mom I'm going to see what's around town okay."

Her mother barely sparred Alana a glance before fussing over a guy putting a lamp down in the wrong spot.