The Beginning

Seven years ago, 

"Daddy!" I gasped. "Daddy!" I heard footsteps. I couldn't breathe under the tight cloth over my head. Gasping, I yelled again. "Daddy!" 

"She just doesn't shut up does she?" A rough voice muttered behind me. 

"Give it some time, she'll doze off once the medicine kicks in, then it will be time."

Time? Time for what? I panicked, my ten year old self was about to burst into tears when suddenly everything was silent. Too quiet. I could hear the slow movement of the cloth as I struggled to breathe out. 

"Code Red." A voice shouted through one of the radios. 

A gunshot, two, three. I stopped counting. I couldn't breathe. I cried again. "Daddy!" 

A hand roughly removed the bag from my head and all I could see was a bright light shown into my eyes. 

Present

I gasped as I opened my eyes. The white wall, now masked in shadows enveloped me as I struggled to sit up. After feverishly placing my back against my bed's headboard, I swept my hand through my hair. I was sweating profusely, gross. I wiped the back of my hand on my shorts as  I leaned slightly and grabbed the water bottle near my bed.

"It's only a dream." I whispered as I gulped down the ice cold beverage. I placed the bottle on my cheek. The condensation cooled the otherwise warm surface. I glanced at the clock on the table. 

2:15 AM. The green dots blinked back at me. 

Groaning, I shuffled out of bed and grabbed my phone. I wasn't going to go back to sleep any time soon, might as well do something. Paddling across the hall, I walked down towards the kitchen. Grabbing a bowl and milk from the fridge I poured in my favourite cereal and plopped myself down on the island counter. Glancing out of the window the city skyline caught my breath for a moment. I was watching a plane race across the rooftops when my phone buzzed in my pocket. Pulling it out I grinned when I read the message. 

Yay or nay?  There was a skirt underneath, a leather mini skirt glared back at me through the screen. 

Yay. What are you doing up so late? I texted Alisha, my best friend, it's been seven years, but I couldn't bring myself up to tell her. 

*Ping* Texting and eating ice cream. Couldn't sleep, you? 

Worried about school tomorrow. 

Her reply made me chuckle. 

Why are you worried? Everyone loves you <3 

love you. I texted back. Go to sleep, big day tomorrow. 

Yeah mom. 

Shaking my head, I put the phone away and concentrated on my now soggy cereal. Chugging it down, I walked back to my room, placing the bowl on my vanity, I crawled back into the warmth of my bed.

Tomorrow was the first day of Junior year, and I hoped it was going to be as good as the last few years, little did I know, my life was going to change, for the better.