Chapter 1

"Dammit Warren I said no!" I folded my arms across my chest, "No birthday surprises, final answer."

He smirked, "Aw come on babe, I have a right to."

I smacked him hard on the arm, "Do not call me babe, that sounds gross. You have no rights whatsoever. Feel my wrath if you choose to ignore my wishes."

He just smiled and wrapped his arms around my waist. I blushed and wriggled my way out of his grasp. He knew I got embarrassed when he displayed affection in school and he got some sort of sick pleasure from tormenting me. I looked at the clock and prayed that the bell would ring to end lunch. Georgia sat across from us and watched me with a creepy smile.

"Kris, you're so cute," she said.

I glared daggers at Warren and kicked him in the shins and got up and left the cafeteria. My 17th birthday was tomorrow, so both Georgia and Warren were teasing me more than usual; they wanted to throw me a party and Warren wanted to get me a present, which I refused to let him. I was managing to control my anger, but I was starting to get pissed off. I feel sorry for the unlucky bastard who happens to cross my path next.

"Kris wait!" Warren yelled and sprinted down the hallway. I sighed and stayed put, letting him catch up. I hadn't realized that I'd been walking at a hurried pace until I saw how far I had walked. When he caught up to me he was completely serious. "I'm sorry for messing with you, okay?"

I looked him up and down and peered into his eyes, "Are you really?"

"...Do you want the honest answer or the one that's pleasing?"

"Honest."

His signature evil smile spread across his face, "Not one bit. In fact I wanted to kiss you or do something more embarrassing, but I was at the wrong angle."

I bit my lip and glared at him, "Asshole."

The bell rang and I hurried off to class before Warren could do anything else to me. I thought maybe after being together for three months now he'd stop being so arrogant, but I was way off. Well I guess people don't always change. I sat down in my usual spot in English and Warren sat next to me a minute later. I refused to look at him and instead pulled out my book to read, It by Stephen King. It was a little over 1,000 pages and it had been my goal for the past two weeks to finish it. I was already 300 pages in, but even that seemed tiny.

"You can't seriously be mad," Warren said and leaned in close when I didn't reply, "I could always kiss you right now–"

I pushed his face away rather roughly without caring and nearly caused him to fall out of his chair. Mrs. Finnegan saw it all, and rolled her eyes, "Let's not start off class with your horseplay you two."

I gaped at her, "Horseplay?!? I'm defending myself against a dangerous predator!"

She completely ignored me and started class. I sighed in frustration and paid attention dutifully. Teachers pretty much ignored me and Warren now because we were almost always arguing. Once there was a sub in science and she sent us down to the principal's office because she thought we were going to start full-scale fighting. Denny just sent us straight back to class without much talk.

Warren must have felt some remorse, because he didn't do anything to me the rest of the day. I boarded home for the first time in a while; the snow had finally melted and it was only a little chilly outside. I was glad winter was over, but  I couldn't help but recall the memories made during winter.

Warren and I had numerous snowball fights and played out in the snow a lot; both of us caught a cold at one point. Christmas was pretty crazy. Dad, Uncle Kurt and I went to Warren's house for a huge Christmas dinner, and afterwards there was a gift exchange. I bought Warren some weights and a workout video, and he gave me a Muse CD. It was pretty normal until he kissed me before I left; nearly killed me, my heart like exploded! It had been in private, but my face was red and Dad and Uncle Kurt both figured what had happened and were grinning like idiots. Warren and I also hung out on New Year's Eve and at midnight, he kissed me. Worst part was that we were at Georgia's party, and she saw it. I'm not saying I hate kissing, because I actually kinda do like it, but when we're in public and I don't have time to calm myself before seeing anyone else... I'd prefer it if he waited until we were alone for a longer period of time.