Chapter 1: Animated Darkness

Unknown P.O.V

All my life they told me that there was no reason to fear the shadows. That monsters are just spawned from myths, legends, and the darkness dwelling within the depths of the human mind. They were all wrong.

**********************************************************************************************************

Lightning streaks across the sky in unpredictable silver blades lighting up the ground for an instant before the darkness returned. The sound of thunder echoes through my ears, rain coating my body. My heart pounds like a frantic drumbeat, my legs feel heavy and weak but I refuse to stop running not for a second. I can't hear, but am aware of the heavy yet swift footsteps pounding behind me, muted by the mighty roar of the thunder.

My clothes are torn and covered in dark crimson blood where skin and flesh were torn. Tattered converse sink into the mud with each step guided only but the eerie light that the lighting brings. A torn and dirty green flannel is ravaged and violently attacks my back thrown by wind like an angry whip. Diluted green eyes are glossed over with tears and once dirty-blonde hair was streaked with mud, rain, and blood glueing it to the cut and scared pale face. Trees blur past me while grabbing and raking at my skin. I don't know how long I've been running since the minutes pass like hours as though time has slowed except the chase between hunter and prey.

I clench my eyes shut for a single moment in a futile attempt to stop the tears streaming down the contours of my face. In that short instant my foot catches on something betraying my body and sending me tumbling down the steep side of the hill. Rock and debris assault wounded flesh leaving behind fresh cuts and scrapes. The wind is forcefully expelled from my body as a tree blocks my path by connecting with my torso leaving me breathless and in more pain. I scramble up onto my knees in an attempt to stand and gather my footing. I am too late.

The weight of the belligerent monster pounces on top of my body slamming me back into the ground. Claws dig into my back as teeth embed themselves into the flesh of my right shoulder. A scream of torturous agony escapes my throat mixing with the chorus of wolf-like growls. I was unable to see the face of my killer as my body was pressed to the earth and all I could see was the area over my left shoulder but I didn't need to see it. I already knew what this creature looked like because I watched it kill so many before it started this chase.

The monster was similar to that of a wolf but much larger with diluted red eyes instead of the normal yellow or amber. The fur on its body is matted, black, and coated in the blood of its victims including my own. I knew I was going to die here as shock numbed my body and tears of despair poured from my face mixing with blood and rain before falling onto the earth. Lightning struck once again and time slowed down where moments became minutes because a bit of animated darkness was illuminated by the white light. This living shadow crashed into the weight on back and the blades were harshly torn from my body.

My heart beat echoed in my ears as the warm crimson pool surrounding me grew in size as it sunk into the frozen earth. Thunder and animalistic growls filled the empty darkness and sent chills through every inch of my being as fear was my only emotion. I pulled my body across the ground to a nearby tree where I struggled to prop myself up on.

Silhouettes moved in a dangerous dance in intervals through the slow-motion strobe of light. My body was in a state of frozen shock as I could no longer feel the pain from my wounds that had earlier raged through my body. Desperately clutching my bleeding gashes as darkness and death had me in their unforgiving clutches pulling me down as my consciousness was fading away.

The end was inevitable for me now as I struggled to keep my eyes open towards the unholy shadows before that caused me such suffrage and grief. I was done and wanted to reunite with those I lost this bloody night and so I began to lean into the darkness consuming me and stopped my futile resistance. In my last moments I saw something that imbedded itself deep into my core. Bright green eyes illuminated from the lightning met my dying gaze and was the last thing I saw before cascading into the final darkness.

*******************************************************************************************************************

Hello, Dear Reader

I am glad you've read the first bit of my new story and I hoped you enjoyed it. Please leave me feedback on what you thought of this first chapter. Any questions, comments or concerns? You can also PM anytime or (prefered) email me at shadowdemonwolf@icloud.com.

Vote

Comment

Fan/Follow

THANKS, Animefreak1716