The Day The Skies Darkened

Everyone has there own story. Some stories are really bad. Mine are one of those stories.

      As a five year old little girl, my daddy was the world to me. My mom had died before I could even remember, so he was all I had. We lived in Brooklyn, New York. My dad was the chief at the NYPD in Manhattan, where TImes Square is. I had a babysitter on the weekends when my dad worked, but most of the time he only worked during the weeks when I was at school. I looked up to my dad for what he did, never really worried about him. On the weekends when he was off, my dad would take me out on the city to my favorite shopping and eating places. People often ignored him, I guess because they knew who he was. People ignored me too, though. A few here and there would smile at me, but not that many. Maybe they just had something really important, I mean there are so many people in New York City. It was always fun spending time with him, he was like a mommy and daddy put together in one person.

"Emma I'm home, Sergeant Brooks cooked up some of your favorite last night at his house and brought it to me today." Emma Stonehedge, lost in the make-believe world of a little girl, came running down the stairs dressed up in her princess clothes as she usually did after school. Breanne Woodruff, her babysitter, walked down after her, prettied up in some of her own make-up. Emma sat herself at the table, eating the food her father had brought home from work. "She had just a little bit of homework to do. Kindergartners don't do much, just learning about the days of the month." Ritchie Stonehedge looked down at his daughter's papers. "Oh really, Emma, what's the date today?" "September 9th," Emma replied. Ritchie nondded. "Yeah, you've got this already." Ritchie and Breanne talked just a little more about payments for babysitting and the next couple days. "I work all the rest of the week, and next week I don't get a single day off." Ritchie said. "Don't worry, I got her covered, she's totally safe with me. But I have to go now before my parents start to wonder what's taking so long. See ya later!' Breanne smiled, grabbed her jacket, and walked to her car, in turn leaving. Emma, with all of her food ate already, bounced out of her chair and ran back upstairs. Ritchie turned on the TV and switched through the channels to find anything interesting. Music, teens, football, drama, nothing really stood out to him today. Nothing majorly interesting, anyways. He was just ready for the next morning to come, so he could make more money to surprise his daughter on her upcoming birthday.