Chapter 5

I've been home alone ever since Stiles dropped me off at home and Scott went to work at the veterinarian clinic. Mom is working the night shift which left me to fend for myself for dinner. I'm no chef and ended up eating a bowl of Lucky Charms. Most nights, Mom would make something for us before she left for work, but she must have been rushed tonight.

The nights that Scott works late, I stay up until he gets home. Ever since I was younger and Mom trusted us to stay home alone, I could never fall asleep if I was the only one home alone. I don't feel safe even if our town's crime rate is very low.

My cell phone starts buzzing on my bed next to my leg and I pick it up. Allison's face flashes on my screen along with her number below her picture. It's almost eleven at night and she is calling me now?

"Hello?" I answer, rolling over on my back on my bed away from my laptop.

"Ellie, you will never believe what just happened!" Allison greets me instead of a casual hello like I did.

"Did you get a puppy?" I reply back, sarcastically. When I'm really tired, I become more sarcastic then usual.

"Well, I ran into one with my car." Allison's voice sounds distant.

I sit up, quickly. "What?! Is it okay? Did you kill it?"

"No, it's fine. Your brother actually helped me with it." Allison chirps into the phone, not caring about the dog she hit. Of course, Allison would care more about Scott because they practically fell in love with each other today. They are both smitten.

"You saw him at work?" I run my hand over the bumps in my comforter.

"I hit the dog on my way home and it was raining. I started to freak out, so I somehow managed to put the dog in my trunk and drove to the clinic. I was just hoping someone could help me." Allison explains to me. "I looked like a complete mess. I was soaked and crying."

"I'm sure my brother didn't mind." I glance at the clock in my room, wondering where he is now.

"He let me borrow an extra shirt."

"Are you still wearing it?" I wait for her reply.

Allison pauses, not answering right away. "Does that make me weird?"

I burst out laughing, reaching for my remote to my tv. "No, I would do the same thing if I liked a guy and he gave me his shirt." I change the channel to a music station to fill up the silence besides me talking in my room.

"You mean like Stiles?" She drags his name out.

Thankful that she can't see me, I blush just at the thought. "I actually do have one of his hoodies." I state, nonchalantly. "It's from a year ago when he stayed over one night during the summer. I was complaining it was cold in my room and the next thing I know, Stiles was tossing his hoodie at me." I retell the story with a grin on my lips.

"And, you keep telling me that he doesn't like you?" Allison exclaims on the other side of the phone. "I haven't even been here for a day and I can tell that you both like each other."

A door slams downstairs and I nearly fall off my bed, scared. "Ellie?!" Scott shouts as his footsteps pound against the stairs.

"I gotta go, Allison. Scott's home and he is probably about to tell me all about how you two talked. I'll see you at school." I rush to say, knowing Scott is about to barge right into my room. I don't even get a chance to say goodbye because Scott runs into my room and I press the end button.

"Ellie, look at this!" Scott shouts, soaked from head to toe. He lifts up his shirt to show me his chest which has zero marks on it.

"What the-?" I jump off my bed towards his bite free chest. I run my fingers over the area that was covered in blood earlier this morning. "What did you do?"